Side support rib? for Bassboy et al?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boguesounder

Reaction score
Gents,
I'm working on a beat up 1648. It has had the center seat removed by a previous owner. The side walls are clearly a bit flimsy around that portion of the boat. I will be extending the front deck which should help tighten it up a bit. I was also thinking about trying to source or have fab'd a set of larger support side ribs. Here is a photo I snatched of another guys boat on here (https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=35433) that has what I am talking about.

Note the extended side supports that mate to the rib on the floor of the boat. The look like aluminum triangles. He wisely left them in after yanking the side seats and livewell:

I assume I can't purchase these off a shelf, but thought I'd ask. I assume I will have to get them made? If so, can anyone give me a sense of what an appropriate price should be from a metal shop? What is the right term for these things?

Many thanks for any input.
Mark

Knee Brace ? Reinforcement Rib ?

I think my metal shop here would charge me about $35.00 to $50 each.
They would be .120" aluminum that is bent to shape - no welding. welding is $65 per hour.

IF they are all the same size, could you remove one that can be used for a pattern ????

Thanks for the info. That pic is not my boat, so I don't have one to use as a template. I would need to make a wood template for the shop...or drop the boat off.

Its hard to tell from that picture, but it doesn't look like the ribs under the seat extend up the gunnels like in front of and behind the seat. If the ribs do extend up the gunnels of the boat under the seat, it should be plenty sturdy enough. At least mine was. After I removed my middle bench, if I put all my weight (270#'s) on the gunnel of the boat while on the trailer I could get a bit of flex. I installed an aluminum floor and extend my bow deck by about 18", which probably helped reinforce, but I haven't had any issues since. This is after 2 full duck seasons and a full season of fishing.

As it was the day I brought her home.
IMAG0519.jpg

After middle bench removal.
IMAG0747_zps8000adb2.jpg

IMAG0748_zps42425e8a.jpg

After installing my floor, extending my bow deck and all other mods.
IMG_20140308_103919_zpsketcbwn3.jpg

IMG_20140413_193822_zpsqjk8kvv7.jpg

Big Terp,
Many thanks, and nice looking rig. I think my original post is confusing. My apologies for that.

Here is my project boat:

I want to add some support brackets like I showed up in the original post to my boat. Those supports aren't on my boat, but my boat definitely needs em. It is way to flexible around the area of the removed seat. I could imagine hitting a wave and taco'ing the boat.

Was hoping someone had some input on either finding these supports somewhere, or had been through getting them fab'd up. Figured Bassboy may have some insight as well. I think I will build a template out of wood or foam core, and take to my local metal shop. Not certain how far out they should come on the hull, until the first hull channel I suppose.

Thanks,
M

Latest posts