V hull or Flat Bottom?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianOBear

Reaction score
I have been looking for a cheaper way to get my 4 year old boy and I on the water together. The most I would have in the boat would be 2 adults and 1 child or 1 adult, 1 child and 2 dogs. We boat mostly on a small 3000 acre lake and a small creek off the Ohio River. We have canoed in the past, but looking for something a little larger and more stable. The motor also would help with our enjoyment.

What size boat or style of hull should I start looking at? Curious is a 14' hull would be large enough or should I be looking at a 16'?

Also stability would be a factor with the small child.

thanks,

Ack

A 14' flat bottom boat would work. A 42" or 48" wide boat will be more stable then a 36" wide boat. If you can afford it a 16' 48" wide would be better.

I have a 1448 flat bottom and it is pretty stable, my BIL has a 14’ vee and that thing is pretty darn tippy, it is tough to stand up and walk around in it, especially since his seats are mounted in the center and you have to step around them. If you sit all day no problem and it is a little smoother in chop. That would be the only reason I could see to get the vee.

I have a 1448 flat bottom and I fish with kids. It is very stable and the kids are able to stand without rocking.

Thanks for the help, this will narrow my search. Also I have a smaller utility trailer that I would be able to tow the boat around if I find one for sale without a trailer. How hard are these boats to lift/move around? 1 or 2 person job?

Again thanks for the information,

Ack

I fished with my 3 year old daughter and wife many times in my 1448. no problems. but if you can get the 1648 you will be happier

If You can find a flat bottom jon boat with just the rear seat and front deck get it.
It makes an excellent boat for fishing with little kids.
They can move around all they want and have room to play with toys when the fishin
is slow.
My old boat was a 13' v bottom, I took My 20 something year old nephew and My 4 year old
daughter fishing once, Every time My girl moved, the nephew bout had a heart attack.
The boy forgot about being a kid in a boat.
Good Luck with Your search.

Steve A W

i have had 2 mv. in retrospect flat bottom would be bettr. i rigged mine like a bass boat with a foot contol tm up front. the pedal takes up an awful lot of room because the bow comes to a point. the ride would be bad in rough weather but i dont go out in rough weather. the bigger more useful deck would be best. iam condidering going to hand control bow mount. the width of the boat is the more important issue, as wide as u can find. i do not like middle bench seats. flat floor, no ribs. heaviest gage u can find and i think welded is better. i would not let welded or riveted sway me if i found a wide riveted boat. i fish in ga and go out on some big lakes with my 1648 mv 30 hp. i try not to go out on heavy traffic times, but im not terrified of it. good luck

Latest posts