Need some buying advice - new here.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safetyfast

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a Jon boat for awhile to fish the rivers and small lakes in East Tennessee with my kids. I've never owned a boat before, but I am mechanically inclined. I don't mind a project, so long as it's a fair price, and I don't have loads to spend. I thought I'd found my boat yesterday in a local ad. Sears 16ft v-hull. Looked to be 5ft or so across the center. 20hp Johnson and trolling motor. $1,200. Claimed the price was firm, but I didn't make him an offer. It was sitting outside with no cover. Boat is rated at 1000 lbs, and looked solid. It's unpainted, fairly shiny, and not dented much. Guy said it was probably a 1976 model. Said motor was probably 1985. Gas tank not hooked up, and didn't get to hear it run. Had a lot of decking, but the carpet was all worn out, and I'm guessing I would need to replace all the decking. Has seats and pedestals with 4 or 5 holes for the pedestals. Seats had seen better days. He said that after fishing all day, it might have a couple of gallons of water in the bottom, and said that was common for aluminum boats. Trailer was about what you'd expect. Probably needs at least new tires and some paint. I think the size is perfect for me. I decided to walk away. Did I do the right thing? I was afraid it would be a money pit and that it was too much front end investment.

safetyfast said:
... Did I do the right thing? I was afraid it would be a money pit and that it was too much front end investment.

It doesn't sound like it will sell anytime soon. Look at a few more boats then decide. Good luck

Wow He must of been a used car salesman!
A good boat won't have a couple gallons of water at the end of the day.
Do some studying and ask questions here and don't get in a hurry.
Good Luck.

Steve A W

I would have walked away also. A couple of gallons at the end of the day is a lot. The last boat I had would maybe have an ounce or two in the bottom and most of that would probably have come from water dripping off of lures and such.

I agree with everyone else, you did well. He's probably asking twice as much as it's worth! :shock:

By all means do follow Steve's advice. Then by the time you do make a purchase, it should be one you'll feel good about and enjoy for many years.

Last but not least, Welcome Aboard! =D>

a couple of gallons of water in the bottom, and said that was common for aluminum boats
FOR A GUY THAT DOES NOT TAKE CARE OF HIS BOAT !!!

Don't be in a hurry is the common consencious - - - you know why ??
LOL because a LOT of us have bought crappy boats or motors on the impulse
without doing our homework first.

When it comes to putting your family in a boat, on any body of water, you want
to make SURE they will have a fun and SAFE day and return home safely.

So, 16 feet is a good length - 12 feet, not so much. The more wider the BOTTOM, the better.
for a 16' boat, IMO, nothing smaller than 45-48" across the bottom. 32" or 36" and you are increasing
your risk of something going horribly wrong very quickly.

Please understand that there is nothing wrong with old Tin Boats !!! as long as all the rivets and welds
are good and DON'T LEAK. But, if they do, they can be easily fixed if you can get to them okay.
The motor is your main concern - - - to break down far from the dock is not only embarrassing to you
but can also be dangerous to your family.

WELCOME !!!

Latest posts