HIN on old Sea King 10" Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akrzr00

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to boating and just joined this forum. My neighbor gave me a 10 foot aluminum boat last year after I cleaned her yard a few times. She did not have any papers for it nor has it ever been registered. I did not know what it was for a long time, until I started cleaning it and saw the words "Sea King" on the sides, in red. I would like to register it, as I also have a 53 Wards Sea King 5 outboard that I got for free. I am running into some problems, as the DMV says that it needs to have a HIN, but i've checked the whole boat multiple times and cannot locate one. I also do not have any ownership papers. Can anyone help me locate the make and model and what I should do to register it in California. I have read that before 1972, boats did not have a HIN. Does this one fall in that category?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

AKRZR00 :eek:

20150207_140012.jpg

20150207_140005.jpg

20150207_140629.jpg

In kansas they will issue a new HIN for older boats

That boat was made before HIN's were required, look into the procedure for antique boats in your state.

Here in Florida you need a bill of sale, and you fill out an application for the title and registration, plus another form to certify that it's an antique if you want to be exempt from the registration fee. The DMV computer generates the HIN and you stamp it into the hull, stick or paint on your registation number, apply the decal they give you, and head for some water! :mrgreen:

Your state may be a little different but they must have some way to deal with antiques. It might be best if the bill of sale notes that the boat was always rowed and therefore never registered.

Good luck with it, and of course Welcome Aboard! :D

Latest posts