Interior paint question - Will White cause sun burns?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugoismad

Reaction score
I got an early 80's Sea Nymph 14R from my mom's boyfriend for $400. Came with a 25HP Johnson, but needs a lot of work. Just to get it home I had to throw $70 in bearings and races at the trailer, plus a lighting kit.

Anyways, So on the outside I wire wheeled, primed with Rustoleum Aluminum primer
S0GZxnB.jpg

Then I painted with some Valspar Oil Based enamel.

Ng3L9fl.jpg

nWpEYDh.jpg

I realize its going to get dinged up a bit, but its a lot better than the nasty camo paint job it had from its previous life as a duck boat.

It has wood panels cut with a 2x6 down the center, for wood floors
a5cyQoy.jpg

I bought some grey outdoor carpet today to carpet them with.

Heres my question - For the interior, would white paint be ok for any exposed metal? I have some white elastomer roof paint left from another project. Kool Seal. I figured its meant to go on aluminum, and it will help reflect heat so if my wife or daughters are wearing a bathing suit and sits down on one of the metal humps, she won't burn her thighs. However, someone on another forum told me white would reflect a lot of the sun and could give you more of a sun burn. Any truth to this?

I have no idea but I'd think the reflection from the waters surface will out weigh the color of the boat anyway. I get burnt no matter the color of the boat.
The sides of mine are all that's expsosed and white and angled up at you. But I didn't notice a difference.

in the SunShine State of FLORIDA, yes, white will reflect back up at you.
not necessarily give you a suntan or burn, but, does interfere with your distance vision.
But, I am talking OCEAN fishing - not necessarily fresh water lakes and rivers.
You will get more sun from just being on the water - not from the inside of your boat.
If you notice on the TV fishing shows, almost all the fiberglass boats are white inside and out.

It comes down to just your own personal choice. I have an old Crestliner exactly like your Nymph
and had white inside..... I changed it to Desert Tan just because the white got dirty and messed up so quickly.

Just your choice...... LOL if you don't like it, PAINT IT OVER !!!

oh, and Welcome Aboard !! That boat n motor will give you many years of good times, plus frustrations.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
$70.00 for bearings and races?

4x Timken Bearings
4x Timken Races
2x Hub Seals
1x Tub of bearing grease

Bought them local because I was trying to get the trailer home that night before the seller changed his mind because I knew $400 for what I was getting was a steal.

Barefoot_Johnny said:
It comes down to just your own personal choice. I have an old Crestliner exactly like your Nymph
and had white inside..... I changed it to Desert Tan just because the white got dirty and messed up so quickly.

Just your choice...... LOL if you don't like it, PAINT IT OVER !!!

oh, and Welcome Aboard !! That boat n motor will give you many years of good times, plus frustrations.

Thanks a lot man!

I'm going to stop at Menards tomorrow on my lunch break get a quart of tan or med grey. Your right, the white will show dirt really fast.

Barefoot_Johnny said:
also, I would suggest a flat finish vs a glossy finish.

Thanks man.

To be honest, I'm not super excited about the smurf *** blue either, but I already had the paint from another project and didn't want to pay $40 for another gallon of a different color.

I'm gonna roll with it, and depending on how it looks in a year or two, it may get repainted.

This is what it looked like last week

QMIB5ca.jpg

Can you throw a pint/quart of something in the white stuff you have on hand to give it a tint?

Put a nice stripe (or something) down the side of your boat and it should be more aesthetically pleasing.

Good choice on grabbing the boat as quick as possible.

I would paint the inside tan. But just
My opinion, the white will blind you in the sun. You don't want a dark color because of the heat it will draw.
You mentioned boards, if you are using them make they aren't treated. They have copper and will corrode the aluminum and destroy the boat with pitting corrosion.
If you need wood use oak or cypress or if you can find it.

Latest posts