Rod Holders, Type and Mounting, Opinions Wanted

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PsychoXP18CC

Reaction score
Before I even start typing, I know this will be a long post, so please bear with me here.

As my handle implies, i have an Xpress XP18CC boat, and need some rod holders. I have had the boa for two years, and have been exploring just about every option I can find for adding rod holders. Often I fish up to 3 people on the boat, and would like to provision for a minimum of 12 rod holders, 4 front, 4 middle, and 4 aft. I am mainly looking at the driftmaster style 3/8" bent wire rod holders because I can pull them off when not wanted and not have a huge mount of some kind left on the boat.

Everyone who makes these type mounts have small bases that surface mount which only require 2-4 screw holes each. So that is always an option.

As another option, I have considered the use of rivet-nuts, which means one larger (about 1/2" hole) instead of 2-4 smaller screw holes. Concerns here are; large hole (close to 1/2" needed to set the rivet nut, and the most corrosion resistant I've found them is zinc coated (no SS option). Pros: ease of installation/removal of rod holders, leaves behind a barely noticeable fixture when rod holder is removed.

I do not want anything like Bee-Ready, or similar, which require a permanent post sticking out of the decks of my boat, and I really want the holders mounted on the gunnels to keep clutter (rod handles to navigate when moving around in the boat) to a minimum. I do a lot of fishing that doesn't require rod holders, and don't want stuff in my way during these times, nor do I want to disturb the actual mount to remove the rod holders.

We deal with aluminum extrusions quite a bit at work, and our manufacturer has a die for a t-track extrusion that would allow me to locate the rod holders infinitely along the length of the track. The drawback here is, multiple screw holes (about 1 per foot to maintain it's integrity) needed to mount the track itself. Again, I would opt for rivet-nuts to do this (they would be much smaller than the ones needed for a 3/8" rod holder itself). The plus is the option to create custom accessories to mount along the track as well. Things like cup holders, shotgun shell holders, shallow water anchor mounts/holders, or just about anything one might think of. This system would utilize 3/8" accessories, where most of the integrated track systems on factory built gunnels use a lighter duty 1/4" system. But the track would remain permanently attached to the boat, bringing up the need to finish the mill finished aluminum track itself to avoid corrosion and make it more aesthetically pleasing.

Ultimately, function dictates. But appearance is also another factor I must consider since the boat is less than 2yrs old.

What say the Tin Boat crowd?

I used the ones like drift master in my rig. Walmart here caries them (at times) for $9.99. :wink: they stay sold out a lot at that price.
I like them cause I could mount them anywhere and there strong as hell. Also can be used for spider rigging.

Driftmaster type are what I have. Seems like that would be best for you too.
I do not mount mine on gunnels, catch stuff on the dock too much with them.
Tim

I like the drift masters and the monster Rod holders. Both are built well. The monsters set back into the boat and won't hit docks or anything because they are set back. Attachéd is the monster Rod holders.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,089

Latest posts