What to do about dented hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxtond

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forums but I've been browsing and getting some ideas/inspiration regarding my current project.. a 14' (13'9") v bottom. I got it a 5hp, 27lb minn kota, and some other assorted goodies off craigslist. I'll do a full project thread eventually but right now I'm at the stage where I could use some ideas. I've been completely stripping the outside paint and inside paint (only around the rivets and seems on the inside).

My question is.. What should I do regarding the wavy dented hull (as pictured below). I've tried straightening with a couple ball peen hammers (and dolly on opposite side)but I'm just getting dings. When I got the boat it had a piece of carpeted wood adding support and keeping the aluminum from flexing. My idea, if nothing else can be done, is to add some support but with something that adds utility such as pole holders, cup holder, mount for fish finder or the like.

The black stripes are poorly done, already wavy, and make the dents looks worse than the probably are.

My main concern is going to be stability followed by appearance. I am putting a great deal of work into this boat and want it to be something I can be proud to be in/show.

If anyone has any suggestion I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20150203_150745.jpg
    20150203_150745.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 552
  • 20150204_195619.jpg
    20150204_195619.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 552
  • 20150204_195637.jpg
    20150204_195637.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 552
slow slow slow slow

tackle ONE issue at a time - take your time.
change from ball peen hammers to actual metal working tools.
If you are working a flat surface, use flat tools - or else you will get dings dings and more dings.
Going too fast or too aggressive in one area could lead you into the "Whack a Mole" effect.
Hit one dent then another pops up - hit that dent then another pops up. etc etc etc.
Using heat from a torch should be left to someone that knows what they are doing or you will end up
with something that even a homeless fisherman would turn down......
Try surfing YouTube for aluminum sheet repairs, tin working, etc. or " door skin repair".
Go to Harbor Freight and get some inexpensive Auto Body metal working tools.
With a little practice, you can become a talented TinSmith !!!
Attached photos are of a Tin Working Hammer I inherited from my great grandfather circa 1900.
The handle was cracked and taped with electrical tape around 1940 or so.
I have used it in many of my metal working projects (carefully) and it still does the job.

So many of us here have gone down your road barefooted - stubbed our toes, and learned as we went.

Did I mention go slow and take your time ???????

oh, and on the "cosmetics for show quality" issue - - - if you are so bent on the "show quality"
of your finished project, and you don't have the skill set or tools to properly get it done,
My suggestion is to get another boat that does not require so much effort to get it to that point.

Jus my dos centavos

Attachments

• metalsmith hammer 1.JPG
    metalsmith hammer 1.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 525
  • metalsmith hammer.JPG
    metalsmith hammer.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 525
Get yourself some body working tools. Blocks and wedges and such from a pawn shop or something if you can find them. I usually use a piece of lumber on the back side when straightening thin aluminum like on garage doors. If you're worried about it being perfect, which you shouldn't be, get it close with that then finish the details with bondo. I wouldn't do that on a boat, but that's how the pros do it on cars.

and a shrinking hammer-made specifically for auto body repair. They work.

I like the camo idea myself. Easier :lol:

Lots of Youtube videos on dolly work. Most work like this is "off dolly." They use "on dolly" to finish. On dolly stretches the metal. Personally I wouldn't worry about it. There are way more beat up boats out there than yours.

Latest posts