Do you take your family out on your tin boat? Advice?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugoismad

Reaction score
So I bought this little Sea Nymph 14 footer, not just because I want a nice little fishing boat, but because I was looking for a fun little boat for the family. We go camping at a couple of local lakes and have a pop up camper, but things start getting boring after breakfast and before its campfire time.

I usually go fishing, but the wife gets bored and pissed if I spend too much time off fishing by myself.

We have a Honda Odyssey to tow the camper with, but our only other vehicle is my Civic that I use for work because I have a 140 mile round trip commute.

So one of the goals of me finding a boat was getting something I could safely tow with the civic. And...here we are.

I've got 2 nice seats coming for it for the wife and I, and the kids can sit on the foward hump. We're well within weight specs. Just...not totally sure about the 4 of us being out on a smaller boat.

Growing up we had a 19' Bayliner, and even that was kinda tight with me, my sister and parents.

I'm thinking this is going to be less of a floating hang out platform that we used the bayliner like, and more of a "go find a secluded beach somewhere" type vehicle.

Anyone else use there aluminum boat with the family? Any suggestions? anything I should install to make things easier with a wife and 2 young girls?
And yes, we have a porta-shitter for the camper and it can come along in the boat.

My father bought a 14' Crestliner with a 35hp Johnson new in 1959 specifically for his family boat.
we had many, many fun times in it. Me and my two younger brothers were 7,8, and 9.
So we had full camping gear, two ice chests with food and drinks 3 kids and two adults.
Many camping trips up the river and many days of just puttering around and water skiing.
We never actually fished out of that boat. It originally had a windshield and only two wooden bench seats.
I still have that boat today. It has seen many trailers, a few motors, and countless seating arrangements.

I find it difficult to have a family runabout boat that is also a fishing boat.
Have one or the other - as you can see in my setup, it is difficult to get into any comfortable (and safe) position for fishing.
FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN !!!!!

Jus my dos centavos

Attachments

• 2-22-2014 4-30-01 PM.png
    2-22-2014 4-30-01 PM.png
    164.8 KB · Views: 642
  • boat seats.JPG
    boat seats.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 642
  • 1959 Crestliner.JPG
    1959 Crestliner.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 642
I have a wife and 2 boys (5 and 3.) I have a 16ft boat and a 17ft project boat. The boys love going out on the boat, but it is tight sometimes to get everyone in comfortably. (The boys can't yet/always ride on the front deck like adults can.) Also, my boat is great in smooth water, but not fun in rough water. It simply beats the heck out of you. Especially if you are in the front. I suspect my boat(s) will last me for a while as boys usually love to fish and hunt.

All of that said, I never have been a fan of pontoon boats, but I now find myself wanting one for the family. I think as the kids grow....so does the boat.

KRS

Get the pontoon boat now - enjoy your family - boating - fishing -picnics - swimming, etc.
They will be grown and gone before you know it !!!

take very good care of your pontoon - careful with the mods that only you like.
keep it up graded with good quality stuff. Keep all maintenance records.

at some point in time, when the family (sooner or later) shows no interest in it, SELL IT !!!
Then get you a nice BASS BOAT !!
LOL then the boys will be back, and take your bass boat away from you.

This is a true story LOL LOL LOL

FWIW I have a 14' deep-V ProCraft tin boat w/ deep gunnels, but wearing a Nissan 18hp short-shaft motor, so in the middle of the transom it has a 'U' cut-out. I've only taken a wave through the stern once while fishing in a rip and a boat's wake hit me at the same time. Luckily we just shipped a little water, where it was just 2 adults fishing. A momentary lapse in attention ... but that is ALL IT TAKES sometimes.

That said, I'll routinely take 2 adults and 2 kids out on it, all in saltwater use, and we'll use it for quick fishing trips or 1/2-day trips to the local sandbars (9'+ tides where I am) or beaches, vs. powering up the big boat. We love it! But also always take care not to overload the boat w/ too much gear.

Small boats are very sensitive to trim and sometimes the Capt needs to put people or test where they might not want to be ideally placed, but it is the Capt's responsibility to make sure everyone goes home at the end of the day.

Knowing your waters, and the limitations of you AND the boat, plus keeping the focus on fun - whilst being safe - makes it a good day for all!

I take 4-5 on my Princecraft pretty regularly, in fresh and salt water, but it's a pretty sturdy boat with a 20" transom. It's rated for 5 people. No fear or issues, but I don't go out in nasty weather.

If you are boating in a fairly calm lake, you shouldn't have any issues, but the kids need to listen if you tell them not to all stand on one side or commands like that. They will soon learn the routine, and you will enjoy exploring the lake together.

i have a 14ft starcraft just recently took the wife, 2 sons (age 7,5) and daughter (5 yes twins) out and we had a nice little ride the little sat middle bench wife sat bow seat and i drove tiller. steady cruise around 19mph and no balance issue its certainly doable and enjoyable as well

Attachments

• 20230614_202106.jpg
    20230614_202106.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My wife and I have 5 adult kids an 8 grandkids - with the oldest being 8 yrs old! I acquired and renovated my 12ft StarCraft specifically to give some adventures for my grandkids. But I knew going in, it would be short adventures with just a couple at a time. I live in Florida near the gulf coast, so the river, springs, lakes and gulf adventures are endless - but never more than a few hours at a time or less. Longer days are reserved for solo trips or with another old timer buddy… Bottom line - this boat was built to create great memories for little ones!
View attachment IMG_5599.mov

Attachments

• IMG_5612.jpeg
    IMG_5612.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5380.jpeg
    IMG_5380.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5378.jpeg
    IMG_5378.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 0
The Starcraft Fishmaster 160 (16ft) was rated for 1500 pounds and 6 people. I extended the front casting deck all the way to the console but one can still sit facing backwards on the casting deck where the front chair is pictured. Realistically I fit 4 adults comfortably for a cruise, 6 if a couple are kids isn't a problem. Weight/swamping isn't a concern even in big rollers with a full load in this deep V.

I'm on my 4th boat and no matter what you do it's a compromise. Draft, stability, weight, durablity, capacity, fuel requirements, tow vehicle requirements, expense, fishability (what kind?), speed, ability to handle big waves safely, it's endless.

24 ft pontoon was a bear to tow, and a challenge for electric trolling motors to bass fish effectively, you could fit your extended family on it but definitely my least favorite vessel.
Ski boat was okay, fiberglass is heavy and has it's own problems.
Narrow, low sided tin boat didn't quite have the storage I was after, nor the stability.
But a deep v, wide, 16ft aluminum boat has been great for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-28 095638.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-28 095638.png
    820.6 KB · Views: 0
I get the impression you already know the answer. Do-able but barely and maybe just under ideal conditions. What you want is a runabout and something a little bit bigger. That said I'm in the same boat so to speak. I've only taken my grandson out, but will likely end up with the wife and one of my adult kids along some time soon. Like you say though, they are going to get bored mighty quickly I suspect with Grandpa's little fishing boat.

Latest posts