Riveted or Welded? Less expensive boats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianOBear

Reaction score
This site is incredible helpful. I have narrowed down my search to a 1448 or 1648 Flat Bottom jon boat.

Should I start looking at riveted or weled boats? or both?

Also I am debating on going used or just ponying up and buying something new. I have searched Craigslist and most of the used boats seem so overpriced.
Any brand I should look into? I don't need a top of line but don't want to get stuck with a junk brand.

thanks again,

Ack

I can only offer a little repair advice - - - I own both riveted and welded boats.
If a rivet comes loose, you can reset it if you can get to it.
If a rivet fails, or, you want to move whatever is riveted, you drill it out and put in a blind rivet.
now, if a WELD fails, you are limited to epoxy fix, fiberglass, or welding (somewhat expensive).

Just do your homework first, then, pass over the junk like you have been doing.
Eventually, with a little luck, you may find something that works for you.
When you start pricing new boats, sticker shock will slap you in the face.
Tin Boats will last forever if well maintained. Riveted boats are a LOT easier to fix
if something is amiss.
Jus my dos centavos

Welcome to the Site !!!

ive got a 1548 weldbilt that i bought last year for a all electric rig. very stable boat ive got it decked from the front to the back and it doesnt lean a bit. weldbilt boats are reasonable priced .alwelded hulls etc. not sure if im gonna keep it, each year i build a different rig , i enjoy playing with them more then i do fishing out of them. thinking of a gheenoe electric rig for this season. if your close to north bama your welcome to check mine out to see what your looking for size wise etc..

I like welded, but own a weld shop, own 3 welded boats and none have ever leaked,, own 2 riveted and both leak,,, one leaks cuz the holes at the rivets have hair line cracks, not a good repair for that other then some frign glue

If you like a particular hull design or layout of the boat, buy that one. There are millions of riveted hulls out there and I wouldn't be afraid to buy either welded or riveted, if I liked that particular boat.
JMO!

Don't know where you're located, but the type of construction can play into resale value big time. Where I'm at, it's HARD to even sell a riveted boat. And when you can, you have to wait for the "right guy" to come along. But a welded boat sells itself.

I've had both types. Welded and riveted. I prefer welded, and one reason is because of it's much beefier construction. Riveted boats are riveted because the maker can use thinner material, which saves a little money in overall production costs, which trickles down to the end consumer in cheaper costs. But a welded boat is tougher to weld from a mass production standpoint, so generally speaking, they are of thicker material. And cost more. Also, of all of the riveted boats I've ever been in, going across the lake on plane with any chop or wake, I could watch the entire front of the boat flex and twist and the bottom (if I could see the bottom meaning no floors) I could watch it flexing as well. With a welded boat, it don't do that. Much more confident ride, IMO. Downside to welded-if (IF) you break or crack a weld, you get it welded. Glue is worthless and ruins the repair forever since Aluminum needs to be squeaky clean to weld it. The downside to rivets are plenty. You can (and will) replace rivets over time depending on how you use it. The flex in the boat will loosen the rivets, then either they'll leak or they'll egg the hole out. Sometimes they crack around the rivet holes. In that case, you end up welding it anyway-if you can find someone who will weld tin foil (TIG process usually). Once they loosen the whole boat becomes more flexible. Usually the corners back at the transom are welded, once the rivets loosen up in the rest of the boat and it starts flexing more, those welds will crack. It may take years or decades, but it happens fairly often.

Bottom line is welded boats are for those who can afford to spend a little extra initially and plan on keeping their boat for a very long time. It is a better boat, generally speaking. Riveted boats are cheaper and generally speaking work well for those who are on a tight budget where a welded boat wouldn't fit into that budget. Been on both sides of that deal. When I was boat shopping a few years ago I set a budget. I called and looked at every boat out there within 200 miles. I knew what I wanted but it wasn't really in the budget. I called the factory and they had one that was built incorrectly....the original selling dealer had ordered a boat with a livewell and a few other accessories, but the manufacturer sent it without. Bare boat. They ordered it with a 21" transom and it was built as a 16". They said they'd discount it to move it out of their way, and I jumped on it. Fit the budget with about $1000 left to spare, which I used to buy a brand new trailer for it to go on. And I wouldn't have done it any differently. Absolutely tickled with it, for what I use it for. And it fits in the garage! Coming from someone who works with different jons and tins (and motors) on a daily basis for about 10 months out of the year.

i towed my rivetted boat down a lot of forest service/backwoods roads and i'll tell you once the rivets leak they really leak,and not just one at a time.my welded is 5 years old and dry as a bone,and lifetime hull warranty.guess which one i prefer. :D

I still have and use the first aluminium boat that I bought new in 1969. The boat is an 11 foot Quintrex semi v fully welded hull. It is now fitted with it's fourth motor a Yamaha 6hp four stroke twin. This boat has been used and abused all its life. From duck shooting on lakes and swamps to chasing trout on large deep fresh water lakes. The paint work is looking very sad and there are a few dents and scratches but not a sign of crack or hole. It has also been trailered all over Australia at times over very rough tracks so to me there is no contest welded boats are the only way to go.
I only know of one manufacturer in Australia who rivets their boats but even then the main hull is welded. Only the seats and reinforcing brackets are riveted. All other boats made here are welded. A riveted boat would not survive the stress and vibration of travel.
My current big boat is a 4.55M Quintrex Escape V hull powered by a pod mounted Yamaha 60HP four stroke. Fully welded 3,4 and 5mm aluminium hull. A very strong and rugged hull that has proven to be very seaworthy fishing off shore. At times we fish about ten kilometres of the coast but are always watching the weather and always wearing our PFDs.

I have a riveted 1996 Tracker Sportsman 1648 that I completely redid 2 years ago. It was in pretty good shape when I bought it. I haven't had any issues with rivets leaking, other than the ones that I damaged with bottom/rock strikes. And I run my boat hard all summer for fishing and all fall/winter for duck hunting. The nice thing for me with a riveted boat is the ease of repairs/modifications I can do at home without having to weld, and the light weight of a riveted boat helps with the recommended max HP of 35 that my boat has. The only con for me, so far, is the hull thickness of a riveted boat. I think mine is .080", if it's even that. I run a 50/35 jet in a shallow, rocky river and have had my share of bottom strikes. In the almost 2 years I've had the jet on my boat I've put 2 holes in the hull bottom and completely destroyed my jet foot. IF I ever get another boat, I'll be looking for something a bit bigger in the 17'-18' range with a wider bottom and a thicker gauge hull. That probably means I'll have to go welded. But I wouldn't go welded just because it's not riveted, if that makes sense?

Welded is better. A 1448 with a 20 or 25HP motor is a very nice setup. I have a 1648 which is big enough to be comfortable all day long. 40HP pushes it 30MPH.
Was thinking abt getting an 18' but haven't because of all the times my 16' barely fit on some creek. Depends on what kind of water you want to go on. My motor canoe will go anywhere. 9MPH with 3 1/2 hp. Bigger is not always better.
I started small with the canoes which taught me a lot about boats.

I bought a riveted because it was cheaper, lighter, and more practical for what I do. I'm not running through flooded woods or anything crazy. :mrgreen:

Latest posts