Cheap / easy way to mount seats?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugoismad

Reaction score
My new boat seats showed up today. I didn't realize they wouldn't come with some sort of a mount. They just have the spot on the bottom for a 6"x6" swivel plate to mount.

I don't really care about swiveling them, since I plan to stand up to fish.

I'm thinking instead I'll mount them to a 1x6, with bolts going through the top of the 1x6 to attach to the seats. Then drill and tap the bench for 4 1/4" bolt holes. Then I can bolt the board down with the seats attached, and unbolt it to take inside in the winter time so my seats don't crack.

Thoughts? Any better way to approach this? I saw the atwood removable mounts on amazon, but for just swivels and mounts I'd be looking at more than I spent on the seats!

Edit - I took some pictures to help reduce confusion.

I'll mostly be using this as a family boat, and for me to fish out of by myself. The pole mount is going up in the bow with another seat on it.
Please excuse the mess, the floor is currently out so I can install carpet and paint the interior.

The kids will sit on the hump in front of the console.

65UMEhD.jpg

mwZcbYl.jpg

76QwJ8I.jpg

XVhSBa5.jpg

I would think you only need a swivel, mounts right to a bench seat and seat fastens to swivel. In any case I think you will regret not having a swivel on the seat. Swivel is about $9
Tim

https://www.amazon.com/Degree-Rotating-Swivel-Mount-No-Tilt/dp/B00DJA13X6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1423589063&sr=8-5&keywords=boat+seat+swivels

If I were planning on using seats so little that I didn't think a swivel was necessary, I might would just stick with a pad.

Walmart had some foam pads with a nylon strap and buckle that I strongly considered. Actually bought 1 and the strap was long enough to wrap around the whole bench and secured it in place. They were like 5 bucks each.

They were in the hunting section for ladder stands I assume

I added some pictures to show what I wanted to do.

As you can see with the seats that close together, swivels wouldn't work that well.

Have you had this boat in the water yet? I don't know what motor you are using or plan to use but if you haven't tested it with 2 people sitting in the back like that, you might want to wait and see if it will plane and how it runs before you bolt both seats down in the back.

P.S. If you got those seats for less than a swivel cost, you got a great deal on seats. :lol:

JMichael said:
Have you had this boat in the water yet? I don't know what motor you are using or plan to use but if you haven't tested it with 2 people sitting in the back like that, you might want to wait and see if it will plane and how it runs before you bolt both seats down in the back.

P.S. If you got those seats for less than a swivel cost, you got a great deal on seats. :lol:

Motor is a 25hp Johnson.

Seats were $24 a piece with free shipping from sportsman's guide.

Good point on the planing. Hadn't considered that.

Latest posts