Big Water....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kustrud

Reaction score
Boat is a 2015 War Eagle 648 (100 ga aluminum, all welded, etc.) Will big water (Lake Lanier in GA) beat up a boat like this? Crack welds and stuff? I'd think it's up to it as long as I take it easy when it's rough and know how to hit big wakes at an angle and what not. Just curious on thoughts for boats like this on big water.

I'd think it's up to it as long as I take it easy when it's rough and
know how to hit big wakes at an angle and what not.
Just curious on thoughts for boats like this on big water.

you more or less answered your own question.
If I paid all those big bucks for a new 2015 model, I would venture into
bad chop very hesitantly until I found that comfort level of my boating skills
and the sturdiness of my boat. I would not worry about the structural integrity
of welds and rivets just yet, I would worry more about being swamped in bad chop.
The modern aluminum boats, especially the 2015 models are using a
more refined aluminum alloy than in years past and will stand up to poundings just like a
B-29 making a belly landing in the Pacific Ocean. (well, not really, but close).
I have been on Lake Lanier many years ago when the water level was up to normal.
That is a pretty big piece of water !!! Personally, I would not worry about welds or
rivets in today's modern Tins. Just be a responsible boater. Ensure your safety gear
is up to date and your motor is bolted on tight.

I have looked over the War Eagle more often than any one person should be allowed to LOL.
and it appears to be one of the best made Tins out there today. (just out of my budget for now)

Happy Safe Boating !!!

Appreciate the feedback, I grew up on Lanier in larger ski boat so I'm comfortable with big lakes/boats in general. Just curious for some feedback on this topic. I think the boat will do fine as it does seem pretty sturdy and welded together nicely. I was out on Sunday and had to pass a 40 +ft Carver Cruiser with probably 3-4 ft wake behind it. Slowed down a little and went through em at a very slight angle and all was well. When the wind picks up though and wakes start missing its hard to avoid everything and I'm sure will take a couple hard licks so again, just curious if anyone can speak on the durability of these things in big water if smart about it. I bought this to duck hunt with but also love fishing Lanier and with the front mount trolling motor has been great so far! Very stable with the front decks and I can even stand on the higher/smaller one with complete stability with just me in the boat.

I don't know that hull, length, deadrise or entry ... but slowing down in seas sure helps!

But as far as durability, I may be in the minority, but on smaller skiffs I feel more damage and wear is done by poor towing practices than from running in the occasional sea state. I see people, where the trailer doesn't fit or support the hull and/or the motor is improperly stored or supported ... racing past me at 50-70mph on the roads or highways :shock: !

A solid 'jolt' there transmits far more transient 'shock' forces to the hull and superstructure than the much softer water does, at least from my experience!

Very true, here's my trailer. Tell me your thoughts, seems like a solid little trailer, the only thing I'm not sure about is the front support under the boat, small black horizontal piece. To me this seems like it could put a lot of stress on the boat due to all of the weight being dead center on the keel, or is it OK you think?

Nice looking rig. That looks to be exactly the way my 1648 is supported. It's 4 years old and I've probably towed it 10,000 miles with no problem. I do recomend a transom saver however. Just my $.02 worth. I agree with Johnny about the hulls and Dale about damage on a trailer.

Attachments

• Man Room (1).jpg
    Man Room (1).jpg
    80 KB · Views: 961
Cool, glad to see yours is setup similar. Anyone else please chime in on this, curious for more opinions!

As for the transom saver, I've had several people tell me not to worry about it with a 25 HP, so Im curious to hear more on that as well....that was one of the first questions I had when I bought this thing.

For me it's more about saving the skeg on the motor than the transom. There are some RR crossings in my area that you could knock it off if the motor was in the down position.

FWIW friends who trailer big single or twin V6 OBs rigs all the time swear by the "M-Y Wedge" transom saver as a better means to support a heavy OB and minimize - if not prevent - any damage from towing ...

Link = https://www.m-ywedge.com/

. Stupid rough bay conditions on the way into the bay adjacent to Destin Harbor in Florida. Took a beating but never misdeed a lick.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423798512873.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423798512873.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 914
Kus,
I go on lanier sometimes 5 days a week... A little too much! :?
I had a 218 DLV skiff that would knock your teeth out some days. I sold it and got a 2072 jet SeaArk to get off of Lanier in the summer months and into the rivers. It's big for a tin boat and handles the rough water with no problem at all. Well there are those big cabin cruiser waves especially in th summer. It will take them if you feel like evil knivel jumping the Grand Canyon....lol right now there is no traffic but summer is a mess. Head North up the rivers for some peace. Oh yeah mine is .125 gauge skin and floor and is built like a tank for a production tin.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 885
Ha yeah I love Lanier, grew up on it in a 23 ft Regal and a couple Sea Doos. I know the lake well and the summers are a mess. The boat is mainly for fishing/hunting but I'm sure will see the lake in the summer. I'll mainly use it to meet people out there and get a couple people on the lake, go to buddies lake house, etc. basically just getting at will this thing be OK if I'm careful enough when it's real rough? The 648's like this are .100 gauge. Mine has a floor and all the goodies. I've been out on a few windy days when it was rough and felt perfectly safe. If a wave comes over the back of this thing will it take it under or will it pop back up? I have a bilge pump so I'm not worried about getting the water out. Nice boat by the way!

Kustrud said:
Ha yeah I love Lanier, grew up on it in a 23 ft Regal and a couple Sea Doos. I know the lake well and the summers are a mess. The boat is mainly for fishing/hunting but I'm sure will see the lake in the summer. I'll mainly use it to meet people out there and get a couple people on the lake, go to buddies lake house, etc. basically just getting at will this thing be OK if I'm careful enough when it's real rough? The 648's like this are .100 gauge. Mine has a floor and all the goodies. I've been out on a few windy days when it was rough and felt perfectly safe. If a wave comes over the back of this thing will it take it under or will it pop back up? I have a bilge pump so I'm not worried about getting the water out. Nice boat by the way!

Sound like you are familiar with the summer drill. I have only taken one wave over the bow on Lanier in an 18' seapro. It would not have mattered if it were a 24'. The wave was at the mouth of Baldridge and as easily 6' and left me standing shin deep with al my stuff floating in the boat. That boat basically ran over my bow though. After a few words I dried out! Any boat can take one over the bow in the right situation. I try to avoid those and stay closer to the banks while running or say dodging on Lanier. Dodge well and you will find. :shock:

been on lanier quite a bit in my 1648 mv 30 hp tiller. tip # 1, dont go on holiday weekends, #2 try not to go on any weekend. sat is bad. sun is better, but my personal best is weekedays. i wont go south of old federal, always hug the shore. i prefer up river, especially for largemouth. if the wind is up stay home. all that being said, have fun and i will see u out there.

Latest posts