2hp kicker motor - Worth adding it?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugoismad

Reaction score
A friend has a 2hp Johnson motor he offered to sell me for $50.

Is it worth grabbing it? That way if my main motor shits out because its older than I am, I can easily get back to the dock?
Plus I could use it for low speed trolling with spoons and deep diving lures through the main channel of lakes.

Or is that over kill on a small boat? Too much weight on the back along with the main motor?

I would probably pick it up if you think I runs. Sell it and make some cash.

If your motor is that questionable sell both and get a more solid motor.

earl60446 said:
$50 is really cheap if it works ok. I think some of those real small old 2 cycles are pretty noisy to be a trolling motor.
Tim

Yeah, its my mom's boyfriends, and it was his dad's. So I'd be making bad blood if I bought it to resell. So I'm only interested if I think its something I can actually use.

Take the 2hp for a "test run" and see if it runs and does what you think it will do for your rig. If it doesn't, then say thanks but no thanks.

If it were me I'd probably get it if it runs.

Gives you an excuse to find a Little gheenoe or somethin that can take a motor if you have any small ponds or creeks or what not.

Questions to ask yourself...
1) How big is the boat you're putting the 2hp on?
2) How old is your main motor compared to the 2hp ob? Does both the main & 2hp use a single fuel line with a primer bulb or is it the older pressurized tank, 2 hose set up)?
3) Is your main motor the same make as the 2hp so if you need to you can just hook the fuel line up to the 2hp & away you go, or would you need a separate gas tank to accommodate the 2hp? Same fuel connections?
4) Would your needs maybe be met with an electric trolling motor instead?
I have a 1972 2hp Evinrude with a built in 1/2 gallon gas tank on my 15' semi-V & use it to troll all the time, no problem.

The two times I was left stranded with just a trolling motor to get back to the dock (fuel line issue which took longer to diagnose than fix) I would have paid 50.00 for a 2 hp kicker.

bird35 said:
The two times I was left stranded with just a trolling motor to get back to the dock (fuel line issue which took longer to diagnose than fix) I would have paid 50.00 for a 2 hp kicker.

Thats what I'm thinking. Especially if I'm going to be taking my family out. I've had to paddle a 19 foot boat half a mile back to a dock. It sucked. Don't want to do that again.

Plus if I'm fishing, at night or in the off season when no one is around...would suck to be stranded.

Don't know what size boat you have or whether you've got a trolling motor or not. I had a 12' with a 4 hp and a 30# TM. With my brother and I plus our gear in the boat, it was hard to say which was faster, the TM or the outboard (I believe the OB would have won by a nose). The only advantage to having the small motor was that we could get to and from our fishing spot without draining any juice from the battery. So I would do like others suggested and try the motor out if it runs, and make your decision once you see how well it works. Personally, I'd be surprised if a good trolling motor didn't outrun the 2 horse.

JMichael said:
Don't know what size boat you have or whether you've got a trolling motor or not. I had a 12' with a 4 hp and a 30# TM. With my brother and I plus our gear in the boat, it was hard to say which was faster, the TM or the outboard (I believe the OB would have won by a nose). The only advantage to having the small motor was that we could get to and from our fishing spot without draining any juice from the battery. So I would do like others suggested and try the motor out if it runs, and make your decision once you see how well it works. Personally, I'd be surprised if a good trolling motor didn't outrun the 2 horse.

I have a sea nymph 1457 with a 25hp Johnson and a 55lb Minn kota 12v trolling motor.

Captain Ahab said:
Heck yeah get it for 50.00 no brainer

Yep, I know I said it would probably be a noisy troller but as I said $50 is cheap. Good backup which you mentioned could be handy for you. If I saw one for that, I would definitely own it.
Tim

Latest posts