Leveling the floor v bottom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parratt1

Reaction score
So I got the inside of the 74 mirrocraft completely bare and am about to start the framing for the floor to sit on. I put a level on top of the gunwales and got it 100% level by using the trailer jack. For the heck of it, I layed a level across the floor ribs and it shows the floor of the boat is not even close to level. It slopes down to the front of the boat. With that being said, what should I level the floor to? My gut says go with the floor , not the gunwales cause the boat bottom should ride flat in the water.

I'd keep it level with the gunwale. I have had 3 deep Vs with factory decks and all were level with the gunwales. Just my $.02.

is there any way you can put your boat in the water with a few concrete blocks in it
for ballast ? Then, walk around and mark your water line.
I would use that data to begin the thought process of the floor line.
But, I think in all seriousness, the most feedback will be to measure from the gunnels.

Jus my dos centavos.

LOL I just noticed you are in MO, I guess things are still iced in up there in the Great White North ?
Plan "B" - - - bring your boat down to Florida - do your float test. :WELCOME:

Barefoot_Johnny said:
LOL I just noticed you are in MO, I guess things are still iced in up there in the Great White North ?
Plan "B" - - - bring your boat down to Florida - do your float test. :WELCOME:

Yeah I woke up to 13 degrees and a surprise unforcasted 4inches of snow this morning. I was contemplating leak testing the boat in the drive today. Needless to say, that's not happening! Our lake water is pretty darn hard right now!

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
No such thing as level in a boat....only "straight".
There has to be some frame of reference, in my mind anyway. Something to pull measurements off of or lay a level on or how else would you make sure it's "straight".

parratt1 said:
There has to be some frame of reference, in my mind anyway. Something to pull measurements off of or lay a level on or how else would you make sure it's "straight".

It's an old saying. Carpenter says, "You want that straight or do you want it level?"

parratt1 said:

There is, the gunwales. Take your measurements off the gunwales.

I was a Sign Maker for 40 years.
When lettering the old style vehicles and boats, all the body lines were straight and level.
When coming into the 20th Century the body lines went all over the place.
Then, the 21st Century, OMG, the auto designers went freakin crazy with just
how far they could push the envelope with contours and body lines.
So, we, as sign makers, just pulled out the "level" to satisfy the "human mind's eye"
to read it. I is a nightmare trying to satisfy the driver and still make it readable and presentable.

So, with a boat, just as they say, pull your measurements from the gunnnels (gunwales) and satisfy
your own requirements - it is YOUR boat, do it YOUR way - you are the one that will be sitting in it,
walking on it, .... am sure you will find that comfortable medium that satisfies you, the Captain, the best.

Now, if you want to see some " Straight and Level " lines, take a look at my Shop Truck for when
I was a sign painter back in the day. 1930 Buick. Took me 2 years to fully restore. Great for advertisement.

Attachments

• '30 Buick.jpg
    '30 Buick.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 736
Gunwales to Floor example.

Of course, there is a lot of riveting, screws and bolts involved in putting in a floor.
So to avoid unnecessary holes in your hull, measure twice - cut/drill once.

Okay - Plan " B "....... stand back from your boat, take a photo of the side with the
camera the same height as the boat middle - then, go to your computer and you can
get a better idea as to how to lay out your deck.

Good Luck !!

Attachments

• Gunnel to Floor design.jpg
    Gunnel to Floor design.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 734
Barefoot_Johnny said:
Now, if you want to see some " Straight and Level " lines, take a look at my Shop Truck for when
I was a sign painter back in the day. 1930 Buick. Took me 2 years to fully restore. Great for advertisement.
Absolutely beautiful!! I'm sure that got your client's attention!!

Barefoot_Johnny said:
Okay - Plan " B "....... stand back from your boat, take a photo of the side with the
camera the same height as the boat middle - then, go to your computer and you can
get a better idea as to how to lay out your deck.

Good Luck !!

I guess what is the hardest thing for me to visualize, is how my boat will sit in the water. IE will the gunwales be parallel to the water or will the bottom of the boats, hence, the ribs. Either way it's probably not going to matter too much I suppose, as we are talking about at most, a four foot casting deck on front. I just don't want to feel like I'm pitched forward or aft while sitting. I am probably way overthinking this as usual.

your floor will never be "level". people move around,ballast moves, full gas to empty tank,full cooler to empty,water in the bilge, etc. one fat *** brother inlaw sitting in the bow and its all out the window. worry about flat. :D

bcbouy said:
your floor will never be "level". people move around,ballast moves, full gas to empty tank,full cooler to empty,water in the bilge, etc. one fat *** brother inlaw sitting in the bow and its all out the window. worry about flat. :D

That's right...you want it straight not level. :)

Are you using wood or aluminum for your floor?

bcbouy said:

That's right...you want it straight not level. :)

Are you using wood or aluminum for your floor?
Most likely wood unless I can find a ridiculously cheap couple of sheets of Al. With the motor overhaul, new trolling motor and fish finder, cost of the aluminum angle plus fasteners i have already bought, 3 new batteries plus some sort of floor covering, I am already questioning my sanity. Will probably stick to marine plywood.

Latest posts