Confused on rivets

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parratt1

Reaction score
Ok so I was getting ready to order rivets and I thought I had a pretty good handle. Blind closed end rivets to attach my aluminum frame to the bottom ribs and side of hull. Then I see there are aluminum with aluminum mandrel and aluminum with stainless steel mandrel. To the best of my knowledge the stainless mandrel will not matter since it is pulled through and discarded but I just wanted to make sure before I invite corrosion. The place that I found with good pricing doesn't have 1/4 inch with aluminum/aluminum only aluminum with stainless.

You can get 1/4 in. blind rivets (mono bolt or mono grip) @ Byler Rivet in Dallas. With alum. mandrels. They will drop ship to you.
https://www.bylerrivet.com

If you call, talk to Ruben Torres. He is real intelligent and been there for years.
800-221-7073
email: [email protected]

Personally, I would use buck rivets. Unless your holes are wobbled out. In that case, you have the right idea. Just my opinion.

Good Luck!
Keith
Texas

I get my all aluminum open end pop rivets at Menards. They have 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" in several lengths.

A little piece of the mandrel remains in the rivet after setting. A piece of aluminum mandrel remaining in the aluminum rivet - no problem. A piece of SS remaining in the aluminum rivet - maybe a little problem (IMO not much to worry about) - if you're worried about it, just fill the hole with some 5200 or similar.

Whoops, just to be clear, the little piece of the mandrel remains in closed end blind rivets. If you have access to the set end of an open end rivet you can remove that mandrel piece.

What ever you do, don't use a rivet with a carbon steel mandrel.

Hey all! Confused on rivets says it all for me. I've never played with this stuff before and I am just getting ready to start on a 2013 Alumacraft 1442. Could some one explain blind rivets vs closed end rivets vs open end rivets and where they would be used? Right now I just need to fabricate a mounting pedestal for an electric troller at the front and a couple of brackets for bow and stern lights. I plan on using aluminum angle or square tube for all framing. Many thanks!!!

closed end blind rivet - sealed on the end - used for water tight fastening
1000x1000.jpg

standard blind rivet - open thru hole - ball on end falls away when used
41tOIVhGlbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

for interior frame construction the standard rivets will work fine . For any thru hull mounting you should use a closed end

Use the stainless mandrel rivets - despite the dissimilar metals left behind in the rivet the extra tensile strength of the steel will pull the rivet MUCH tighter which is what you want when working below the waterline.

I originally used aluminum mandrel rivets in my boat and ended up replacing them all.

Latest posts