Anyone ever used this for decking ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grease Slinger

Reaction score
It's the same material as a cutting board. Wondering how much it flexes , how much support it needs and what it usually weighs. I think it'd be awesome if it was light , spray off with garden hose and very little support needed to save weight. They make it in different colors shapes and thicknesses too . Any input appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 783
I used a similar material on my 1236. It's great but expensive - more than $100 for a 1/2"x 4'x8' sheet. It is not as strong as a similar thickness of plywood so it will need additional support. It's lightweight so if you use aluminum for framing it'll save weight. If you're using lumber it may not save any weight in the long run. One thing I never checked out was its resistance to UV. I covered mine with carpet so I guess it wasn't an issue for me. The link to my 1236 build is at the bottom of this posting if you're interested.

That's a awesome setup you did there! It looks better than factory. And that's exactly what I wanted to do with my bat and fuel . Do you feel like you could of gotten away with some 1/4 instead of 1/2 ? Looks like you had a really good support built underneathe it

Grease Slinger said:
That's a awesome setup you did there! It looks better than factory. And that's exactly what I wanted to do with my bat and fuel . Do you feel like you could of gotten away with some 1/4 instead of 1/2 ? Looks like you had a really good support built underneath it

Not a chance. It may be a trade off with the cost of adding extra aluminum versus thicker PVC sheeting but I wouldn't go thinner. Standing on it's one thing but suppose you dropped something (like an anchor) in just the wrong place. Oops!

Many people on this site work on their boats because they want/like to. Many because they can't afford otherwise. None of us have lots of dough to burn but my advice is spend the extra now so you don't have to do it over again later. Build it like you intend to keep the boat forever. You'll feel better about your work and the boat. And who knows, maybe you will keep it forever!

Latest posts