Sealing new plywood deck.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outlawfan80

Reaction score
What would be the best product to use to seal up the new wood framing and plywood decking and allow carpet adhesive to stick? Spar varnish, prime and paint, or ???

This is what I used to seal my deck and glue my carpet with. I put on 4 coats of the spar urethane. Iv'e used my boat 4 full seasons now with no problems.

Attachments

• Boat Stuff 003.jpg
    Boat Stuff 003.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,149
  • Boat Stuff 004.jpg
    Boat Stuff 004.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,149
I second the spar varnish, it works great. I prefer weldwood contact cement for the carpet adhesive though. I used both that and regular carpet glue and found the contact cement much better to work with.

Do I need to install floor drains? My floor will be carpeted sealed plywood. At the rear there will be a storage area that the frame and sheeting will come down onto the floor this will also be carpeted. Will water seep through the seam between the two or should I install floor drains to allow water to drain into the area under the floor and back to the bilge area?

Would that outdoor carpet adhesive work well with Nautolex marine vinyl? Contact cement seems a little unforgiving for a beginner.

Latest posts