Rivets

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samtech

Reaction score
I am going to be framing for my decks using aluminum angle. Not sure what kind of rivets I should purchase. Any suggestions? Thanks

Did mine with blind (pop) rivets. No problems. Had a number to set so bought the Harbor Freight gun, which saved a lot of work.

Forum search feature is your friend :)

This was posted last week:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36925&p=376669&hilit=rivet#p376669

samtech said:
Did you use aluminum rivets? I'm using 1 1/4 angled aluminum for framing, what size do you think I need?

My angles were 1 1/2 x 1 1/2, a structural grade. I used 3/16" aluminum rivets, aluminum mandrel, supposed to be a 5200 alloy. I think I got them on Amazon.

I used multiple rivets where I joined angles. See photo for example. You can get data on the shear capacity of each rivet and use that to determine the minimum number you'd need (be conservative, at least a safety factor of x2).

Attachments

• Frame Joint.JPG
    Frame Joint.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 363
Thanks for info. Have a question for you. I'm not sure what part of boat is in your pic, but is that a "plate" riveted to where your aluminum is connected? Looks like a good idea. Thanks

samtech said:
Thanks for info. Have a question for you. I'm not sure what part of boat is in your pic, but is that a "plate" riveted to where your aluminum is connected? Looks like a good idea. Thanks

That's the bow - where I added a raised deck area. I had to fasten the framing to the hull in that area since there were no ribs. The "plate" is about a 3" x 3" piece of sheet 5052 with about a 2" x 2" tab bent at right angle to it. The "plate" is riveted to the hull and the "tab" riveted to the angle.

Here's another picture that shows the "plate" and "tab" construction a little better (this time fastened to a channel).

Attachments

• Frame Complete.JPG
    Frame Complete.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 341

Latest posts