Aluminum Floor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgpjr49

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 1987 Lowe 1448 big jon Mod-V with a 87 Johnson 25hp 2 stroke on it. I would like to install an aluminum floor in it. My question is towards the front of the boat it starts to curve up toward the side, if I get a sheet of aluminum to place in the floor will I be able to get the aluminum to bend and fit the floor and would it ever crack? I'll post pictures later.

Here is the portion in my build thread where I started my floor. Hopefully the pictures help.

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26774&start=165

Instead of dealing with the curvature of the hull, I extended my bow deck and added hatches back to where I could end my floor fairly level. Even then the bow portion of my floor ended up being higher than the rest of the floor. I just used some extra foam under that section to help support it. Been that way through 2 hunting season and a fishing season without any issues. I also am routinely in my boat while it's on the trailer and the floor doesn't show any problems. Not sure I'd bend your sheet though. If you do, that will always be the stress point in your floor and could eventually cause problems?

Thanks BigTerp, did the back piece of aluminum fit on the angle piece when it was put in place or did i miss where it was mounted. Also what size aluminum sheet did you use and where did you get the aluminum and the piece of angle?

Not really sure what you mean? If your referring to the "face plate" of my bow deck (where my speakers are mounted) it sits on top of the end of my floor. There was still enough room to rivet both that piece and my floor to the piece of angle. If that makes sense?

Here is how it all comes together.

Face plate for bow deck extension.
IMAG0842_zps07c3733e.jpg

IMAG0843_zpsd99f4421.jpg

Floor and face plate installed.
IMAG0864_zpscbe367f4.jpg

I used 1/8" aluminum sheet and 1" x 1" aluminum angle for everything. I got the sheet from a friend of a friend who makes aluminum truck caps. Got it for cost, so it saved me a ton!! Got my angle from a buddy of mine who works at a local construction supply place. Got a good deal on it through him as well.

I'll get a picture of my boat tomo so you can get a better idea of what I'm talkin about. My idea is to keep it as open as possible for when I go duck hunting and i don't want to extend my deck anymore I like it the size it is. Sorry I haven't been to good at explaining my situation.

These are the pictures of the curvature of the from of the boat (sorry I don't know what te technical term is)ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425491698.816323.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1425491711.181998.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1425491726.820947.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1425491739.184294.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1425491749.189258.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1425491759.898633.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1425491771.577142.jpg

Check out Y_J build. He used an old aluminum ladder under the flooring.
Great idea and looked like it may work for you.

If you use .062" material, you can bend and form it easier. However, if you use material this thin, you need to use extruded styrofoam paneling underneath, to give it rigidity. Also, it's an ABYC requirement.

KOngHzb.jpg

In BigTerp's first picture you can see how he leveled the floor with the aluminum angle running a stringer side to side over the support rib (red line) - that is how you eliminate the slope from the centerline toward the sides (the V in the bottom of your hull accented in yellow). If you set the stringers toward the back higher than the stringers in the bow you should be able to come closer to leveling it front to back, but a bit of a pitch rearward isn't a bad thing - it will shed water toward the rear and when you're sitting in the front and weigh the boat down it may actually end up close to level.

You will probably need vertical supports every so often to support the span of the angle above the ribs (blue line)...I over build, but I wouldn't have more than a 12" span unsupported if you're using 1x1 1/8" angle

Ah, now I see. I had the same problem. I only had to deal with the curvature of one rib though since I extended my bow deck back which eliminated a lot of the ModV curvature of my hull.

Onthewater is exactly right in how I took care of it in my build.

Here are some pictures to show you exactly how I did it.

IMAG0834_zps61a71a5b.jpg

IMAG0835_zpsc22f0efa.jpg
[/quote]

The bow portion of my floor still sits slightly higher than the rest, but it's unnoticeable. I added an extra sheet of foam under that portion to help with support. The way I did mine hasn't caused any issues either. I'm 6'8" 270#'s and put a lot of stress on that portion of the floor, especially getting in and out and jumping from the bow deck to the floor during duck season. No problems so far.

Big terp how big is your boat and your front deck, I like the way it looks I just don't want to do away with a lot of space when it comes to duck hunting since I only have a 1448?

Mine is a 1648. Not really sure how big my front deck is, but I extended it by 17" with the hatches and frame I added.

I also use mine to duck hunt, but don't hunt from the boat itself. Just use it to get to and from hunting spots on the river. Built a blind for it late this year, and plan to use it next year. Can probably comfortable hunt 2-3 guys out of it. Extending my bow deck allowed from for storage underneath of it, which was huge for me. I have 3 hatches across it. The port and starboard hatches hold a group 27 battery each, and the center hatch holds my battery charger and other hunting/fishing gear. The extended front deck also makes it nice for fishing. I have plenty of room up there to fish and run my trolling motor.

IMAG0919_zpsfd55223f.jpg

IMAG0918_zps40f5f17b.jpg

IMG_20140309_100346_zpsveqhl4pv.jpg

Here is how it looks loaded down with 3 guys, 5 bags of decoys, guns and other hunting gear.

IMG_20141122_102323_zpsjsdr0avh.jpg

IMG_20141122_102341_zpsdrwowvua.jpg

Terp
That looks awesome. Where do you put ducks? Do you pull a trailer?LOL

onthewater102 said:
Did you make or purchase those hatch covers???

I bought the hatches from Dawson at FishOn Fabrications. He makes them custom. I sent him pictures/measurements of my frame and he made the hatches according to that. He also made me one for my rear bench. Couldn't be happier with them!!

https://www.fishonfabrications.com/

Awesome! I've been back and forth and unable to come up with a design for between my rear deck and the transom to try & put a hatch over the fuel tank area - this would be perfect as I can frame everything out & just use their hatch which can be load bearing...thank you very much.

No problem.

The hatches seem really sturdy. I'm 6'8" 270#'s and am up on mine all the time. I used 1"x1" aluminum angle to frame mine out. No problems. Dawson is actually a member on here. His screen name is Bassboy1. You can pm him with any questions.

Here is how I framed mine out. Sent Dawson the measurements and all I had to do was rivet down the hatches once they arrived.

IMAG0856_zps72ecb6d8.jpg

BigTerp said:
Mine is a 1648. Not really sure how big my front deck is, but I extended it by 17" with the hatches and frame I added.

I also use mine to duck hunt, but don't hunt from the boat itself. Just use it to get to and from hunting spots on the river. Built a blind for it late this year, and plan to use it next year. Can probably comfortable hunt 2-3 guys out of it. Extending my bow deck allowed from for storage underneath of it, which was huge for me. I have 3 hatches across it. The port and starboard hatches hold a group 27 battery each, and the center hatch holds my battery charger and other hunting/fishing gear. The extended front deck also makes it nice for fishing. I have plenty of room up there to fish and run my trolling motor.

IMAG0919_zpsfd55223f.jpg

IMAG0918_zps40f5f17b.jpg

IMG_20140309_100346_zpsveqhl4pv.jpg

Here is how it looks loaded down with 3 guys, 5 bags of decoys, guns and other hunting gear.

IMG_20141122_102323_zpsjsdr0avh.jpg

IMG_20141122_102341_zpsdrwowvua.jpg

where were these taken? looks like the shenandoah..........