Carpet directly on floor vs plywood

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgros483

Reaction score
So I've carpeted my plywood deck in the back of my deep C already. I'm getting ready for spring when I can finish the project by carpeting the front part of the boat.

I'm thinking about gluing my carpet right to the aluminum floor and right over the ribs rather than building a plywood floor for this section between the benches. Any thoughts?

The only downsides I can think of would be that water would run over it on it's way to the bilge, and that you would have the ribs sticking up. Neither of these really bother me, should they?

I just don't want to add any more weight than is necessary by making a plywood floor for this section.

Here's an old pic I found of the sections I'm talking about, the boat is in a snowbank now, so no current pic but you get the idea.

2014-05-07 20.14.45 by Photo 144, on Flickr

2014-05-07 20.14.35 by Photo 144, on Flickr

FWIW on many a small boat I've just put in a floor, maybe no more than 18" wide, that was just enough to safely move fore & aft. But the carpet was full width, but only secured to the floor section. Made pulling up the edges and cleaning under there far easier.

Worked out slick, was cheap, and sure kept the weight down!

Latest posts