1436 Alumacraft Seating?!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapdYa

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first post on these forums, but I have been browsing around for awhile! Great info all around. I have had this 1436 Alumacraft for about two years now, bought new. I am interested in adding seating but have a few issues. Right now I am using throw PFDs in camo as seats which isn't terrible. I'd like them to be somewhat removable for duck hunting and some other things. The bench seats are really wide so the clamp ons don't work (already tried). I'd rather not have to cut and pull out foam from underneath the bench seats if I can avoid.

How has everyone else mounted their seats?! I'm sure there are more people on here with Alumacrafts that can chime in. Here are a few pics of the boat. No longer have the mud motor, just purchased a Mercury 9.9 off CL in mint condition! 8)

First night home
Q9eKPnh.png

More recent
PAQIg2l.png

I'd install the flush aluminium mounts for pedistal seats if it where mine. You will have to drill out a hole for the seat post to drop into however. But you don't have to remove the foam. With the seat removed your cusions would still set comfy on top of them when duck hunting or what not.

Insanity said:
I'd install the flush aluminium mounts for pedistal seats if it where mine. You will have to drill out a hole for the seat post to drop into however. But you don't have to remove the foam. With the seat removed your cusions would still set comfy on top of them when duck hunting or what not.

Thanks. Have a picture or link of what you are describing??

The base thats sitting on the floor has a round piece/ weld on the bottom. So I had to drill like a 1 1/2 inch hole in the seat so it would sit flush. ( my bench seat is under the plate ) ( a hole saw will chew threw the aluminium ) Its a bunch of holes to put in you bench seat but it's worth it.

Added two pics by mistake. That's the bottom of my seat the pedistal and plate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 2,169
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 2,169
^ Interesting idea... I just feel like those screws wouldn't have much to hold on to with the thin aluminum...

I've been researching this problem for awhile now, and I have yet to pick a solution. Options mostly include adding some sort of reinforcement to the seat, as the metal is just too thin to hold screws for very long. Which route you take usually depends on how comfortable you are cutting a hole in your seat, and how big of a hole you are comfortable cutting. One option is to cut a hole in the side or top of the bench seat and then attach angle aluminum, or aluminum plate, or bolts with big washers to the underside of the seat. If you don't want to cut a big hole then the options become using rivets, rivet nuts, or some type of adhesive to attach wood or aluminum plate to the top of the bench seat, at multiple points to spread the stress load over a wider area, and then attach your mount to the mood or metal. I have an alumacraft 1236 and the rounded bull nose profile on the seat benches make things a little more difficult as a lot of the other options like the seat clamps or slider mounts don't seem to work well. The plan that I think I have been leaning towards is to use rivet nuts to attach some type of sealed wood to the bench seat (probably with 8 screws) and then attach a swivel to the wood. But I still haven't committed yet. Alumacraft does make a removable clamp that supposedly fits the rounded bull nose profile of their seats.

https://www.akmccallumco.com/store-seatacess.htm

rootbeer said:
I've been researching this problem for awhile now, and I have yet to pick a solution. Options mostly include adding some sort of reinforcement to the seat, as the metal is just too thin to hold screws for very long. Which route you take usually depends on how comfortable you are cutting a hole in your seat, and how big of a hole you are comfortable cutting. One option is to cut a hole in the side or top of the bench seat and then attach angle aluminum, or aluminum plate, or bolts with big washers to the underside of the seat. If you don't want to cut a big hole then the options become using rivets, rivet nuts, or some type of adhesive to attach wood or aluminum plate to the top of the bench seat, at multiple points to spread the stress load over a wider area, and then attach your mount to the mood or metal. I have an alumacraft 1236 and the rounded bull nose profile on the seat benches make things a little more difficult as a lot of the other options like the seat clamps or slider mounts don't seem to work well. The plan that I think I have been leaning towards is to use rivet nuts to attach some type of sealed wood to the bench seat (probably with 8 screws) and then attach a swivel to the wood. But I still haven't committed yet. Alumacraft does make a removable clamp that supposedly fits the rounded bull nose profile of their seats.

https://www.akmccallumco.com/store-seatacess.htm

Perfect! I might actually try that. Looks super sturdy, made for Alumacraft boats with the lip, and removable... Thanks!

I cut sheets of plywood to fit over the metal benches. Bolt up through the bottom of the plywood and attach to swivel base of seat, and counter sink the head of the bolt so it sits flush.

Then, screw the plywood into the bench with some self tapping screws.

I'll post a pic tomorrow, my plywood is drying with the 4th coat of spar urethane right now.

lugoismad said:
I cut sheets of plywood to fit over the metal benches. Bolt up through the bottom of the plywood and attach to swivel base of seat, and counter sink the head of the bolt so it sits flush.

I'll post a pic tomorrow, my plywood is drying with the 4th coat of spar urethane right now.

Nice! Sounds like a solid setup!

lugoismad said:

I would like to see some of those pics you mentioned, if possible.

Thanks

rootbeer said:
lugoismad said:

Thanks

Pics posted here:

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37109

lugoismad said:
rootbeer said:
lugoismad said:

Thanks

Pics posted here:

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37109

Thanks!!!

FWIW I mounted those same type of flush mounts bases, as Insanity did, on a few tin boats already. I used high-strength 1/4" blind rivets purchased from Master-Carr and the seat bases have stayed solid and secure!

you can also use "J-Nuts" also called fender nuts

EW3KFpc.jpg

they are available at any big-box home improvement store in the parts drawers.

requires a little finesse drilling so that you can slot it in & align it with the base - but it holds to the sheet aluminum and allows you to secure your seat with threaded screws and actually have something meaty to attach to.

you still need to use the 2-part seat base shown in everyone's pictures - and overdrill the center hole so everything sits flush.

I would silicone/screw down a piece of plywood over the bench seat and mount it to that similarity to what root beer sainted but add silicone for more holding power than just screws

Latest posts