Any ideas on how to mount a kicker motor to my boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaltyGhost

Reaction score
I want to mount a small gas kicker outboard to the back of my boat. As you can see I have very little space due to the flotation pods. Any Ideas on how this could be done?
SeaArk 2072 MVJT (5).jpg

Can you design a Jack Plate with a welded protruding extension ?
Then, it would be removable. The extension would put it out past the flotation pod.
Port or Starboard is up to you and what gives you the most room to operate it.
Also, you might have to get an extension for the tiller handle.

and, why do you want to do it ? trolling and slow motoring around or for emergencies ?

Attachments

• jack plate.png
    jack plate.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 908
Barefoot_Johnny said:
Can you design a Jack Plate with a welded protruding extension ?
Then, it would be removable. The extension would put it out past the flotation pod.
Port or Starboard is up to you and what gives you the most room to operate it.
Also, you might have to get an extension for the tiller handle.

and, why do you want to do it ? trolling and slow motoring around or for emergencies ?

Could also 'hinge' Johnny's jack plate so the kicker could be raised when not in use.

OR - buy one of these mounts, figure out how much longer you need
it to to clear your pods, take it to your local metal shop and have it
modified accordingly to suit your needs.
Looking at the design, it will be easy to just replace some of the bars
with longer, beefier ones.
One of the major concerns would be the lateral force (side to side) when you
force the little motor to push your heavy boat into a tight turn.
I would say not to go over 30 or 40 pounds for a kicker. Whatever HP fits that weight.
For emergency propulsion, this would work great to get you back to the landing.
Make the transom mount so you can remove it easily without undoing all the bolts.
OR - weld a bracket to the pod so it will safely accept this type of retracting mount.
It may be more feasible, cheaper and safer to design a Pod Mount for the motor mount.

Use your noggin, you can figure it out.

Jus my dos centavos...................................[/b]

Attachments

• motor mount.png
    motor mount.png
    67 KB · Views: 893
  • motor mount.png
    motor mount.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 890
So it looks like it's possible but I'm gonna need to get creative with something custom. Those tilting brackets are interesting If I could find one long enough to clear the pods. I'll probably need to have an extension made that uses the pod for support. I would also like to tie it to the big motor so I don't need to be sitting on the ***-end to steer it but that's a whole other problem. I'll probably require some kind of articulating arm that connects to the hydraulic steering of the big motor.

To answer your other question I need it mainly for emergency use but It would be very useful when going slow thru no wake zones and trolling. I often go out to very remote areas that are people-free and need a secondary means of propulsion should something happen to the main motor.

Latest posts