Where to get aluminum sheets?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomme boy

Reaction score
Where is everyone getting their sheets at? I used to be able to get mine straight from Alcoa, but all of my family has retired from there and I now can't get it.

In my area Google of "sheet aluminum" brings up several suppliers within 100 miles.

Local metal fabricators can tell you where they get theirs - or order some for you.

Also scrap yards sometimes will have partial sheets - but you probably won't be able to determine what grade aluminum that is.

I posted this on another thread:

store dot buymetal dot com

5082 sheet aluminum 48X48 x0.10 $96.39

Free shipping on orders > $100

I found some 6061 sheet at the scrap yard - $2.00 / lb. You can get a fair amount for that money.

What really bites is I used to be able to get 4x8 sheets of what ever thickness or tread plate for scrap aluminum price. My last 3 sheets of .100" was $125 I really wish I would have bought more before my mother retired from Alcoa.

Nope, no more benefits. I knew a couple of welding shops and they were always trying to get me to get them sheets for them. But I would not do it. I always let them have what ever was left when I had them do the projects so I made sure that there was some left over. :wink: :wink:

Tommie,
Ask your Mom if she has any friends that still work there that can help. Surely, she made some friends, if she retired from the job. At least I would hope!

If not, it's probably a huge relief for her to be out of there!

Just a thought...

-TH

She was a supervisor so I doubt any of the normal people would help. I have one other contact I remembered last night. I just have to get a hold of him.

Latest posts