Setup Ideas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hct4all

Reaction score
Hi,

Newbie to this site. Your projects are awesome. I picked up a new to me 14' X just about 6' wide Fisher this morning. The plans for this boat are to keep it simple yet functional. I plan on leaving it at my camp in Tionesta PA with it chained and motor taken off the boat. Any other ANTI theft ideas will be appreciated.

The boat came with an Evinrude 9.9/15, swivel seats and a Fishmark 320 fishfinder as well.

IMG_0173_1.jpg

What I am looking for:

1) Ideas for rod holders. Not sure if I want to drill and insert tubes in seats or just get some kind of velcro style.
2) Interior lights
3) Some type of switch panel. Anchor light/Nav Light, Interior Light, Maybe a Bilge pump and an accessory outlet.
4) Should I do anything to the floor?
5) Any other must haves?

I also have a 30lb thrust trolling motor and battery.
The boats primary use will be fishing on the Allegheny River. I would like to keep it as light as possible. I have gotten my Sea Nymph Fishing Machine stuck in some shallow spots and I was quite heavy and difficult to move.

As soon as it is going to be above freezing I will give it a good cleaning.

Thanks,

Rick

Some More Boat Pics

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg]

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

Rod holder -
I'd put a couple of grab rails on the gunwales and mount adjustable rod holders to them.

Interior lights -
LED license plate lights - cheap and low power consumption. This is what I used, mounted to bench seats to iluminate the deck.

WsCRVlm.png

I love the licence plate light idea. Just to clarify I was refering to the rodholders wile trailering or in motion. The boat came with 4 rod holders for when I am fishing.

Thank you!

Id take off a wheel/ tire and chain the other one, also remove the drain plug. The more aggravating to steal the better now days.
I've got a black rubber bungie cord rod holder I like real well. You just stretch it over the rods and it has a eye that it hooks into. I bought it locally but I'm sure Bass pro would have them.
Nice boat by the way.

I used to live in a large city full of thieves, and learned one thing: if they can't see it, they can't want it. Out of sight, out of mind! If the wrong person sees that sweet little boat sitting "abandoned" month after month, they will eventually undo any kind of security you can think up.

So my best suggestion is to camouflage the boat. Cover it in green tarps that go to the ground, and make it look like and old car, or a stack of firewood or something. Make sure it is not visible from the road, if possible. Keep it out of their line of vision.

Okay, moving on to lighting...
I rig boats for a local marina, and I recommend amber vehicle marking lights, LED preferrably. They are inexpensive, and that color gives good visibility without destroying your night vision, if done properly.

Also, when you really need to light things up, you might consider an LED flood light or two, strategically placed.

In most of the boats I rig, we install the amber lights for offset lighting- under gunnels and consoles and rails. Then we add a few white lights on a separate switch, for tying knots and such. (just like the license plate lights recommended above)

Finally, we mount a flood light somewhere that will really light things up when needed.

Everyone is always thrilled with the system, and others come, wanting the same setup, based on recommendations.

Lighting is a very nice luxury, IF installed properly. LED's make it practical for even the smallest boats with limited battery power. But one little white light in the wrong place can be extremely irritating or even dangerous if it's blinding an operator at night, so tape them into position and test BEFORE permanently mounting, if possible.

Oh, and ALWAYS make sure that the operator has primary access to the switches. A buddy turning a light on to tie a knot could cause a serious accident.

-TH

From a security standpoint put at hitch lock thru the hitch as was well. That way they can't even hook it to their truck. If they can pull on it they'll break your chain n if they don't break it the attempt will likely trash your trailer.

Oh, and I forgot to mention... Besides hiding the boat, I agree that you should also do ALL you can to make it difficult to steal. Remove the wheels, block it up and take the wheels, cable the frame to a tree, remove the coupler or lock it, etc, etc.

Maybe this is overkill. A lot depends on where you are. My folks live in a lake/golf community, and there are hundreds of aluminum boats in there. They are literally in almost every driveway. I have never heard of a boat being stolen there. On the other hand, in my old neighborhood, I had three Rottweilers to help discourage thieves. It worked, too!

Just do what you think you must do.

-TH

Latest posts