Rivnuts

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a collar ~ 3/64" that will stand proud of the base material. With wood you can recess it. With 0.10 aluminum pretty difficult - you won't get a flush / tight connection............

I've used rivet nuts to secure several things in my boat, such as the wiring harness cover and rear hatch cover plates. Truthfully, this is the best method, if you want something that is easily removable. Tap screws strip out/corrode over time. Or sometimes they seize up so bad, you snap them off trying to unscrew them. Rivets require being drilled out every time you want to remove something.

Just make sure to put never-seize on the bolt/screw before installing it into the rivet nut, as corrosion will seize it up if you don't.

I've used them, and they work well in aluminum, not so well in other substrates.

Sometimes, they don't want to expand as well as a rivet, so install carefully. But once they are in there right, they are great.

-TH

I use them on my boat to mount my 4 HID driving lights and also to mount my trolling motor. I have an older bow mount trolling motor that I take off during hunting season. Makes it easy with just 4 screws into rivnuts.