Where to locate batteries

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parratt1

Reaction score
I have a 1974 16 foot deep v mirrocraft with a 25hp tiller Johnson. I have everything out and am starting to build the framing on the front deck. I will have 24 volt bow mount trolling motor so I will need two groups 31 batteries plus a cranking/sonar battery. I am curious about weight distribution. I was thinking of putting 2 batteries up in the rear of the front deck and 1 on the left of where I will sit in the back while underway. Will that be too much weight up front? I can put em all in the back but I figured I would not want all the weight in the rear.

I have one battery at the rear of my front platform, and the other up in the bow locker. With me and the gas tank in the back of the boat, this makes my boat balance very well, giving me decent planing, while not being nose-heavy.

One suggestion, if your boat is not electric start- I highly recommend you go on Boats.net and buy a Stator for your motor, and then Ebay for the terminal strip and rectifier, to save some money. Total price for everything is about $75, and it took me about an hour to install.

Now my pull-start motor charges my batteries, and I love it.

-TH

Try it out and move them if the front plows. The front has to come up in wakes/waves or you're toast. I just re-trimmed my 16 after adding a heavier motor and have only one series 27 up front. With the storage locker and the 27 I felt the trim was balanced. The rear has a 230 lb motor 19 gallon fuel tank and a series 24 starter battery under the rear seat.

Latest posts