What do you think looks best?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which knobs look best on my Sea King?

• Reddish-brownish fluted knobs

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Black chicken head knobs

Votes: 12 75.0%

• Total voters

cliff58

Reaction score
My 1958 Sea King is missing the low speed knob and a piece of trim on the port side. Now that I have it running, I need something on that low speed shaft. I have a few things I can use but nothing that comes close to matching the original white high speed knob. So I thought, why not replace both with something matching until I can find an OEM part. I came up with 3 pairs of knobs that fit the shafts. The ones from our old toaster oven just looked too cheap so they are out of contention. It's down to these two pairs of old radio knobs now, either as they are, or I could paint them white or black. So pick your favorite style in the poll, and if you think a color change is best or you have anything else to offer I'll be looking forward to your comments!

knobs.jpg

Here's a pic showing what trim is missing, just in case you've got one of those in your junk box!

trim.jpg

The black chicken knobs will be easier to operate with gloves on when it is cold and your fingers don't work quite as well as normal. Also, If the white line wears off you will still be able to tell what position they are in.

Not sure what a chicken knob is but I like the ones in the right hand photo. The style matches the art-deco feel of the motor.

White may not look too bad. I would have to see both. Perhaps time for some photoshop?

Attachments

• switches.jpg
    switches.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 757
I like the brown fluted ones. Plus the question was which ones look best not which ones are best with cold hands, gloves or visibility of the numbers. Just my 2 cents. Black ones look like they were made last week and you got em at Home Depot.

Captain Ahab said:
This is nuts go fishing

Now that's the best comment yet! :mrgreen: However, there's a bass tournament going on in Lake Toho this week, and I'm not so sure I want to get in the way of those guys. I just might have to take the Sea King somewhere smaller for its maiden voyage with me.

rscottp, those knobs came out of a box of old radio parts from the 50's and 60's, so they are nearly the same age as the motor. But it sure is nice to know Home Depot has stuff like that in case I lose one of these! I have 3 of the brown knobs but those are the only chicken heads.

If there was enough room on the motor I could even use this 50% vernier knob on the low speed. Talk about super fine adjustments! :roll:

Picture.jpg

louisvillefisherman said:
Not sure what a chicken knob is but I like the ones in the right hand photo. The style matches the art-deco feel of the motor.

White may not look too bad. I would have to see both. Perhaps time for some photoshop?

thank you for that, I'm on a backup computer with no Photoshop installed. In white they remind me of the factory knobs, which to me look just plain cheap! I found this pic on the internet and decided I was in no hurry to achieve the OEM look :(

photo3.jpg

Latest posts