Need your opinion- Is my bow trolling motor mount too thick?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugoismad

Reaction score
Had some left over 2x10 from when I rebuilt my transom that I cut and urethaned to make a mount for my bow trolling motor.

I think its a bit too thick and looks weird though

yKyLsds.jpg

Please excuse the mess in the boat

UjiF62s.jpg

rWs3qlc.jpg

I'm thinking about re-doing it with some 1/2 plywood I have, and using another sheet of 1/2 plywood on the bottom to reinforce where the motor mounts to.

I showed my wife and she likes the thicker 2x10.

However I think using plywood, and coming back about 2 or 2.5 feet from the bow would look really nice. I can't really stand in the tip of the bow anyways, and it would give me a nice spot to mount stuff out of the weather. I could even make a shelf under it to mount the battery, to offset the weight from my fat butt (300lbs) and the fuel (50lbs on a full tank) in the back of the boat.

What do you think?

Coming back a little further would look really nice. If you are questioning the thickness, I think that if you added a nice bevel to the three exposed sides it would really dress it up nice. It may be thick, but sure is solid.

evidrine said:
Coming back a little further would look really nice. If you are questioning the thickness, I think that if you added a nice bevel to the three exposed sides it would really dress it up nice. It may be thick, but sure is solid.

My wife pointed out that if I came back about 3 feet, it would take up space in the bow where I can't stand anyways, and give our kids somewhere to hang out, out of the sun, when we were cruising around.

Your idea of going to a larger piece of plywood to give more mounting space or shelf below sounds good, but if you just want to keep it simple I think rounding edges of your 2x10 and putting outdoor carpet on it that complements boat color would be a good look.

jb93 said:
Your idea of going to a larger piece of plywood to give more mounting space or shelf below sounds good, but if you just want to keep it simple I think rounding edges of your 2x10 and putting outdoor carpet on it that complements boat color would be a good look.

There is more urethaned wood going on as trim, so it will match. Thats not an issue

Im thinking a shelf and in the front would be pretty nice.

Latest posts