Speed Wheel Help!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walleye88

Reaction score
Can I cut and splice this lowrance St-Tu speed wheel to make it work again? The speed wheel cable was cut and I am wondering if its still usable. If anybody has any idea how I can make this speed wheel functional again please let me know. If it is doable I also need to find out what cable I would need to solder to the spliced part of the speed wheel and what kind of plug that I would need to make it work again! Any info helps! Thx

Attachments

• speedwheel.jpg
    speedwheel.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 405
Nearly any type of cable can be spliced, I have done coaxial and CAT 5 network cables successfully before. I can't tell what type of cable that is in the pic.

However, with the cable being cut so close, I would attempt to get into the unit, thru the side that's against the hull with a Dremel tool if there's no more obvious way in and connect a new cable where the old one was soldered in, then seal it up with silicone sealer. Then once it's on the boat it looks good as new!

Best of luck with it :)

You can probably splice it ok then you need some waterproof connection. Probably liquid rubber it then heat shrink it. You will probably destroy the unit if you try to get into it, they are usually glued or sealed shut forever. Last ditch effort to try.

Tim