dulling really shiny aluminum.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got some flat surfaces on a boat I'm working on and the new aluminum is really shinny. It produces glare when I'm running. Is there a faster way to age the aluminum? I'm a big fan of just letting it sit and naturally age but this one part is really shiny.

Unique problem you got there. I have seen people use 1 part latex paint (flat white) and 3 parts water to dull glass surfaces
Tim

Wire brush on a drill

Orbital sander

Vinegar might work

[strike]Muriatic[/strike] phosphoric acid solution like [strike]Mary Kate on/off hull cleaner[/strike](careful this could do damage if done improperly)

images

I sanded a couple of pcs with 100 grit paper in a palm sander. I like the finish...it definitely dulls it though it does add some texture to the look vs just a piece of dull aluminum that the shiny has become flat over time. I would say it made it look like a cast piece. I would suggest you buy a smaller pc of aluminum and try a couple of techniques to see what you like best. Post some pics.

Barefoot Johnny is exactly right. Use ospho/phosphoric acid to etch the aluminum. This will take the surface from a bright shine to a dull aluminum finish. Do NOT use muriatic acid, as it is extremely corrosive, and it's an oxidizer. The phosphoric acid converts oxides to phosphates, it does not oxidize the material.

PSG-1 said:
Barefoot Johnny is exactly right. Use ospho/phosphoric acid to etch the aluminum. This will take the surface from a bright shine to a dull aluminum finish. Do NOT use muriatic acid, as it is extremely corrosive, and it's an oxidizer. The phosphoric acid converts oxides to phosphates, it does not oxidize the material.
Thanks for clarifying, I figured my science and wording were a little off lol

If you've got a compressor, you can use a short piece of hose and a blower attachment and make a home made sand blaster. Use that and some baking soda as your media to blast the area you want dulled. Soda is so fine it won't leave a rough texture the metal but it will remove the shine.

Blaster.jpg

Latest posts