Carpet Adhesive for Vinyl Install

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crwdz7

Reaction score
Hey Guys. I'm currently working on a 1983 Bass Tracker Tournament TX rebuild. My father gave me enough vinyl to completely recover the boat but I won't have much room for error. Not really any to spare. I've been reading a LOT of posts regarding all things restoration. I am getting really close to the point where I can start applying the vinyl on my epoxy resin covered plywood pieces. I've done numerous searches here and at iboats forum regarding what type of adhesive to use. I know quite a few guys have used the Nautolex 88 adhesive, but I' having a real hard time justifying $100 per gallon. The other alternative that people seem to use in Weldwood contact cement, but I'm a little nervous about the stick it and no chance for error of the contact cement especially since I have no vinyl to spare. Before I make the commitment to contact cement, i wanted to do a little research on possible other options. Seems like the two adhesives below get used a fair amount for carpet installs but I can't seem to find if either would be acceptable for marine vinyl. Anyone used either with any luck on vinyl installs? Is there a reason that more people don't use a carpet adhesive for vinyl. I suspect that if carpet adhesives are not an option that I will attempt the contact cement route, but just want to be sure there isn't a more forgiving method before I jump in. Thanks in advance

Can get this locally at Home Depot - Roberts 6700 Indoor/Outdoor Carpet and Artificial Turf Adhesive. I've seen the posts about this softening when wet, but I would think the vinyl would protect from that as well as the fact that my boat is stored indoors so long term exposure to water is not likely. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Roberts...and-Artificial-Turf-Adhesive-6700-1/100117949

The second seems promising, just not as much info out there about it - DAP Weldwood All-Weather Outdoor Carpet Adhesive. https://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=94&SubcatID=13

Bump.
Also going to be putting down Nautolex soon and wondered what others have used other than the Nautolex adhesive ($$$) and contact cement? Contact cement concerns me that I won't be able to get out wrinkles or make fitment adjustments since it bonds instantly.

Thanks

Latest posts