different transom meterial???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troubledhook

Reaction score
Im rebuilding my 1648 Ouachita into a bass boat but i dont want any wood products on the transom or deck. Has anyone used any other sturdy materials to use as a transom board and/or decking? I pick this up with trailer and title for $400 and am really excited to set it up with a none wood material build. I.e. aluminium angle and rivets. Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• IMG_20150302_144548.jpg
    IMG_20150302_144548.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 860
  • IMG_20150302_144627.jpg
    IMG_20150302_144627.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 860
  • IMG_20150302_144652.jpg
    IMG_20150302_144652.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 860
  • IMG_20150302_144558.jpg
    IMG_20150302_144558.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 860
  • IMG_20150302_144531.jpg
    IMG_20150302_144531.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 860
If you have access to some aluminum metal,

I would get some 1-1/4" (or 1.5") square tubing and cut about 4 pieces the width
of your transom and pop rivet some aluminum sheet to both sides.
THAT transom will go to the scrap yard with your boat in the year 2095.

The photo is of a transom I did for my 1648 bass boat that holds a 50hp outboard.
it is 3 pieces of 1-1/4" tubing with two sheets of 1/4" aluminum plate laminated to
to each side.
You will have to remove the two knee braces and make your transom one continuous piece.
then, put your braces back and fill the old holes.
I have not done it, but, you could fill the voids with spray foam in a can to keep the bugs out.
and possible, give you more rigidity if you block the ends so the foam can be more dense. ????

The floor would be your call. Many options available. Depends on your budget.

Attachments

• Transom Drilling.jpg
    Transom Drilling.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 847
  • Jon Floor 001.JPG
    Jon Floor 001.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 847
That's what I'm going to be doing if/when i need to replace mine...

That is a sweet looking 16' boat - there are so many ribs that thing is going to be rock solid when you're done! Nice find.

They make a pourable glass product you could use. Its meant for transoms. Its lighter and stronger than wood.

lugoismad said:
They make a pourable glass product you could use. Its meant for transoms. Its lighter and stronger than wood.
I've poured hundreds of transoms in glass boats.
I've poured a 1/2 dozen in glass boats. They can be done, but take a bit higher level of skill to a degree.
Do a search here, I made a how to thread on it. The only downfall to glass is the weight.

huntinfool said:
lugoismad said:
I've poured a 1/2 dozen in glass boats. They can be done, but take a bit higher level of skill to a degree.
Do a search here, I made a how to thread on it. The only downfall to glass is the weight.

https://www.transomrepair.net/

Seacast is 3x stronger and .03lbs lighter than marine plywood.

The corrugated aluminum design will weigh half as much as the wood or less...

lugoismad said:
huntinfool said:
lugoismad said:

https://www.transomrepair.net/

Seacast is 3x stronger and .03lbs lighter than marine plywood.
I've used their product. In my opinion, it is not that good. Mine is much stronger, and therefore weighs more. I would never use marine plywood on a transom.

okay, HuntinFool - - - without divulging your trade secrets,
could you share a little info of this transom stuff ??
like, what is it ....
liquid resin with sawdust ?
or, recycled old fiberglass products like shower stalls and old boats ??
expanding urethane with a very high density ?
does it expand ?? or does it just stay the same size as poured.
just wondering.
it looks like a product with a very wide range of uses. Not just stringers and transoms.

I use resin, a product that is crushed fiberglass, and fiberglass strands about 2" long. The crushed product is like a filler to make the resin not so viscous. Not quite a paste, but not really liquid. The strands make it much stronger and will thicken it even more.
One of the biggest keys is to catalyze the mix BEFORE you add the strands.

I'll see if I can find my old thread and figure out how to link it here.

Latest posts