new 1648 alumacraft jon boat question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
Ok,i just went and picked up my boat and looked it all over and i found the welds to be extremely rough looking and really sloppy.I can live with that but i also found this and i don't think it's a issue but i may as well ask here just in case i should get anything done to it before putting it on the water.

I like to look over all the welds and i get there will be some like air pocket like pin holes here and there but i found a place that the welds were not completely all the way down and there is actually a small hole but the structure around it seems fine on were the 2 pieces of aluminum meet.Take a look at the pics please and tell me it's either a concern or no big deal.My neighbor said that it's no big deal but he doesn't know a ton on aluminum boats.I just want to make sure it won't hurt the structure of the ribs.

I would think it has to pass inspection to be let go to the marina so i guess it's no issue but i still want to make sure it won't hurt anything.Any help on this would be great,thanks.The space that wasn't filled all the way was to the left if you look closely.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,407
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,407
I wouldn't accept the boat.

If the aluminum is not cleaned correctly and ANY corrosion is left behind it can cause welds to look like this. You can't really tell because they are painted over.

Another reason is wrong wire size / speed / amperage.

Any of these leads to weak welds. The first issue can also conceal ongoing corrosion.

I'd be more concerned with the gap in between the rib and side of the hull where the rivet is.

Well i already bought the boat but i can take it back if needed to have them re weld it.I just don't understand if this would hurt the structure of the boat in anyway how could they not see this or let it pass inspection?You know what i mean.

I see the gap your talking about now.Yeah the rivet is through but not held on by much.I have a 5yr warranty against any defects so i guess i will just use it and if it cracks or rivets pop i will be taking it back.The rest of the ribs are dead against the side of the boat but this one,figure that.

I guess my main concern is will this hold together with no issues or do i need to be concerned i guess is the question?I paid $2300 for this boat.Like i said i just picked it up and really didn't have time to fine tooth comb pick this thing to death but the welds are not up to alumacrafts specs as far as not looking like a mess.I'm sure the boat will be fine but like i said this is what had me most concerned after going over the whole hull.The rest of the boat is fine besides the crappy looking welds,what i mean is they just look real sloppy but maybe that is what they are letting pass these days.Please understand i get it's just a jon boat and not a high end boat,it's a high volume production boat,a boat to go fishing on and just wash it off when you get home,i know it's nothing special but i just like to make sure it won't fall apart to after seeing that,lol.

I'm going to wait for some more responses but i guess the big question is do i just use it and i will probably never have any issues or do i really take it back to the dealer tom morning?If this truly won't hurt the boat i rather save myself an hr trip but if this really will effect the structure of this boat i will do what must be done.

I would take it back for repair as soon as you can whether it would affect the rigidity of the boat or not. That looks bad if nothing else.

Abraham said:
I would take it back for repair as soon as you can whether it would affect the rigidity of the boat or not. That looks bad if nothing else.
+1

Ok,settled. I'm going to bring it back tom morning,should I really worry about the rib not being up against the hull or just the weld?

I'd ask for a different boat if they have another. They'd probably rather do that anyways tbh. Then they can try to pawn off your return on someone else without repairing it.

They just ordered this boat and got it off the truck,they don't have any of this particular boat in stock. I have this question on the iboats forum as well and a guy who knows a ton about aluminum boats and told me this is very common and won't hurt a thing,he told me they are all on assembly line and are production boats and never are pretty and never perfect.

scoobeb said:
Ok,settled. I'm going to bring it back tom morning,should I really worry about the rib not being up against the hull or just the weld?
If something in the boat pushes the rib against the hull the rivet is going to be loose and leaking.

Well the answer to that is bolt,nut and 5200 would make it 100%waterproof and probably stronger.

The thing I'm also looking at is were the rib bends it's one piece so it's still going to be strong. I don't know,I understand these are low cost production boats but it's annoying. I'm sure this has happened to many other aluminum boats.

scoobeb said:
Well the answer to that is bolt,nut and 5200 would make it 100%waterproof and probably stronger.
You buy a new car and the drives window gets stuck open. Do you just put plastic over it?

I would take it back. You may be able to negotiate a better price. It may not have an issue, but if it does you still have the 5 year warranty and you paid a lower price.

I understand your theory,but it's a big difference between a fast production boat that is made to beat to death and a car that cost 10s of thousands of dollars. One is made to catch fish,go to the beach,you expect certain things to happen like I have never bought a jon boat that didn't have chipped paint,they all have that,it's a strong built boat with a horrible cosmetic outer shell like the paint and welds. I can handle bad looking welds but when a weld is not completed properly then that's were we draw the line,you are correct,It should be repaired. I'm going to ask them to fix the weld properly and see if they can put a bigger longer rivet in that spot,at least get the weld done. I know they won't lower the price,I got $115 of a discount already due to buying a ton of boats from them. I just want the weld at least fixed correctly,I don't think that's to much to ask from them.

The good thing is if it does crack or a rivet pops it's covered under warranty and then for sure it has to be fixed no questions asked.

So i went right to the source,Alumacraft themselves and talk to one of the supervisors in the factory.I told him what was happening,sent him an email with pics of it and he went over it with his supervisor,someone higher up in the company.He called me back and said the actual rib being off the hull is extremely common and sent me a ton of boat pics even expensive one showing me that it does happen and it's no big deal or issue.I explained to him i get it's a production boat and i don't expect it to be perfect.He said he agreed that was a sloppy weld and told me this has happened before and will not hurt the strength of the boat whatsoever.He did tell me if you want you can go to the dealer and have them weld it a bit more if i feel more comfortable about it.He did say though i can guarantee you it won't hurt a thing.I called the dealer and he told me it would take a week to weld because they would have to send it out.I asked him what he thought and he said it won't hurt a thing.The super at the plant said if anything down the line happens we will fix it with no issues.He said if it bothers you just keep an eye on it but it won't fall apart or crack.

So i am just going to use it and have fun with no worries and just keep any eye on it.The actual weld is all the way down it's just a small hole were it should of been filled all the way in and i can see how it wouldn't hurt the strength of the boat a bit.Time to get the boat modified and go fishing.

Latest posts