Floor level "decking"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake.

Reaction score
I have a 1432 of unknown year and unknown make. I just want to put a flat floor in the boat. My boat is way too skinny for me to be comfortable with anything other than a floor directly on the ribs. The only actual raised part will be for a foot controlled trolling motor to mount and for a step getting in/out of the boat when beached. Most likely just big enough to store a few life vests in. I will in no way be standing there while out on the water.

I was thinking I could use some 3/8 plywood directly ontop of the ribs to do my flooring with. I also would like to fill the space between the ribs with the 4x8 foam board (cut to fit of course, duh!) since my boat has absolutely no additional flotation whatsoever. I plan doing this across the entire floor except between the rear bench and transom. I feel like the 3/8 ply will be flexible enough to curve With the hull and it approaches the front of the boat but still be sturdy enough to walk on with the foam underneath. Also I want to keep weight down without breaking the bank.

My question is, am I off base with this thinking? I mean, it seems pretty reasonable to me as of now. Just want to be sure I'm not out in left field.

The boat is mostly used to just get on the water. I fish some, hangout at the sand bars some, and just ride around. I will usually have my kid and or dog with me or occasionally another adult. Never will have much gear. The floor will make me feel better or having to worry about kids moving around and tripping on the ribs.

Anyway, I'm done rambling. Here's a few pics. Everything needs cleaning and a paint job but it serves its purpose. Thanks for any input in advance!

IMG_20150227_162650_163_zpsai3gtd0z.jpg

IMG_20140914_195434_079_zpsayff6ctb.jpg

IMG_20150227_162547_378_zpsizqmscup.jpg

IMG_20150227_165957_852_zpstcx9ism5.jpg

I have a low decked 1648. I used 1/2" plywood. 3/8"s probably will be alright with the foam under it.

I built some panels using 1.5" x 1/4" slats stapled to 1 by framing and sitting on the ribs. I like them because I can remove them them for cleaning and they stay dry because water passes through the 1/8" gaps. The only problem I've had was when a wave came over my stern and the floated up. That was the day the foam in my seats got my boat back to shore. I left the slats rough cut after ripping them on the table saw. I used cardboard to make patterns to fit the framing to the floor between the ribs. It took me a half a day because it was suppose to be temporary. That was several years ago. I still plan on redoing them.

Latest posts