Spray can rubber sealant for sound deadening ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob E

Reaction score
A while ago I saw an aluminum boat that had a lot of this type of sealant in one small area. I'm not sure if it was flex seal or something different, but it was a pile of dense foam rubber that adhered very well to the floor. I'm thinking this might be just the ticket for quieting down my floating gong (1232 jon boat).
Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? Will it quickly build up like that, or did this guy use a whole case of the stuff on one leaky rivet #-o ?

I used a can of the black to seal some holes in the roof of my chicken coop
and wondered the same thing about sound deadening inside of the motor cowling.

BUT - right on the can, it says it is a petroleum based product.
so my line of thinking that the gas fumes and exhaust from the motor
may make the coating become soft and gooey and just sag right off.
Then I would have one gosh awful mess on my hands !!!

Sooooooo I will wait and let someone else try it first LOL

I've seen the rattle can stuff by Rustoleum (sp) in big box stores, which may or may not be any better than the flex seal. Would some of the spray on bed liner be any better for your intended purpose, it's supposedly pretty good stuff, but no 1st hand experience with it either.

The flex seal stuff dries out and cracks after about a year. the stuff is no good IMO.

I'm currently in the process of getting my Alumacraft mv1544aw ready for the spring and am making a few modifications. One of which is spraying the front and rear metal decks with the professional grade 3m rubberized undercoating. The floor and side walls already have marine grade plywood and carpet. I figured a couple of coats will not only achieve sound deadening, but after painted tan with rustoleum flat tan camo paint, it will be more forgiving on the feet and not as hot as green metal. Everything should be done within the next few weeks. I'll let you know how it turns out.

When I had my 14ft lund, I bought a large carpet covered rubber mat at a big box store, cost like $6 on sale. Cut it in half and put one piece in front of my seat and one piece in front of the passengers seat. Kept it pretty quiet, nice on the toes, easy to clean. Only drawback was it was not fastened down so I always put the cooler or anchor on them when trailering, stuff like that. Worked great for me.
Tim

I know I've seen people use the Peel and Seal aluminum backed roll roofing as an alternative to Dynamat when doing sound deadening in cars. It'd be totally waterproof but with the aluminum backing I'd imagine you'd want some sort of flooring over it. Not sure how much weight it would add to the boat either. They sell it in different sizes at Lowes and Home Depot.

Latest posts