Someone was asking about how to mount seats - How I did mine

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugoismad

Reaction score
I used 1/2" Plywood and coated it with 4 coats of spar urethane.

Then ran bolts through the bottom and into the seat swivels. Getting the nut on the bolt through the swivel was a trial in patience, but I got it!
Then I just used self tapping screws to screw the plywood to the benches.

Please excuse my mess, this is a work in progress.

52gmSRz.jpg

66faGvK.jpg

k4NOUqS.jpg

SpVYY6d.jpg

t0tN0rL.jpg

And a bonus shot of my dashboard. Just installed the voltmeter!

6ze44NA.jpg

Nice work. Thanks for sharing. Nice clean lines. I also noticed your hooks for wiring to the front. Nice!

What kind of silver paint did you use? You must live up north. That silver will burn you up down here in the south. It's like being in a boat wrapped in Reynolds Wrap.......talk about a sun burn. Oh, uh, I think maybe a friend told me that it would. I've never done that. :---)

Nevertheless....your silver paint is pretty. 8)

Keith
Texas

Question:
What is the difference in Spar and Poly? I've used poly on inside cabinets, as well as Vera-thane, but I've never used Spar. I'm not to the seats in our old Lone Star yet, but I will be pretty soon.
Looking forward to your reply.

Keith
Tyler, Texas

TexasLoneStar56 said:
Nice work. Thanks for sharing. Nice clean lines. I also noticed your hooks for wiring to the front. Nice!

What kind of silver paint did you use? You must live up north. That silver will burn you up down here in the south. It's like being in a boat wrapped in Reynolds Wrap.......talk about a sun burn. Oh, uh, I think maybe a friend told me that it would. I've never done that. :---)

Nevertheless....your silver paint is pretty. 8)

Keith
Texas

The silver is just rustoleum "Aluminum" color.

We'll see how it works with the sun burn. I couldn't find another color that I liked that would go well with the blue exterior and gray on the seats.
Worst case I repaint it, it only took a few hours to do.

TexasLoneStar56 said:
I also noticed your hooks for wiring to the front. Nice!

I'm not sure what you are talking about?

The eye bolts on the port side? Those were there when I got it, I'm not sure what they are for. I think the previous owner was too lazy and cheap to go buy some rope cleats so he used those for the anchor.

TexasLoneStar56 said:
Question:
What is the difference in Spar and Poly? I've used poly on inside cabinets, as well as Vera-thane, but I've never used Spar. I'm not to the seats in our old Lone Star yet, but I will be pretty soon.
Looking forward to your reply.

My understanding is that Spar is for use outside. I stood in the urethane and paint isle of Menards for about half an hour reading all the containers. All of the containers marked for outside use were spar urethane. I did some googling and it looks like polyurthane will yellow in the sun.

The seats I got from Sportsmans Guide.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/wise-premium-low-back-fold-down-fishing-boat-seat?a=196634

Although I kinda wish I'd sprung for the high backs. I'm tall and my back isn't the best and low back seats hurt after a while with no upper back support. Oh well.

Quick reply.....thanks!

I truly thought you had put those eye bolts on to run wires to lights. I thought it was a cool idea, to keep them neat and out of the way.

Thanks for the info on the paint. It sure its pretty. I like the silver with blue myself. Our barge is silver and blue, with seats just like yours in the front. I agree with the taller backs, for this ole' back. But hey, they look good and beat sitting on wood with no back.

Several years ago (15 or 16), we had an old Lone Star 14' that just had 3 seats. We bought it for our girls to just paddle around in the cove. And they did. I had the bright idea to sand it with 800 grit to a shiny finish. It looked really good! We took it out one day, just playing around. Stayed out about 4 hours. OMGoodness Sakes! The hot Texas sun did a number on us, and we were already tan. I had to get vinegar and dull it back down, just so the kids could play on it. What was I thinking?!!?? #-o

Now, I've been working on our '56 Lone Star and have it on top to a shiny finish. I thought it would be so pretty, and she is!. Well, last August proved me wrong, again. It is so shiny that the heat penetrates you like an oven on the inside and glares worse than snow. :shock: Guess I'll be painting the top in the spring. Live and learn!

Thanks again for sharing your info. I appreciate it.

Keith
Tyler, Texas

TexasLoneStar56 said:
Quick reply.....thanks!

I truly thought you had put those eye bolts on to run wires to lights. I thought it was a cool idea, to keep them neat and out of the way.

Thanks for the info on the paint. It sure its pretty. I like the silver with blue myself. Our barge is silver and blue, with seats just like yours in the front. I agree with the taller backs, for this ole' back. But hey, they look good and beat sitting on wood with no back.

Now I understand what you are saying. Nah, I ran the wiring for the lights through the gunwale.

Latest posts