Coleman crawdad set up!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azfish1121

Reaction score
Hey guys I am new to the group here my names Cj. I recently picked up a Coleman crawdad with a bunch of extras for 600 bucks. Came with new minn Kota 40 endurance, deep cycle bat. Life vests ect. I also purchased a almost new looking evinrude ligtwin 4hp this past weekend. I have 2 questions to see if you guys can give me some ideas or show me previous builds. Has anyone built front and rear deck on these and been long lasting? Just looking to remove plastic and put carpeted wood over the existing aluminum and put aluminum angle over the new wood. Also does anyone believe me skidding my boat into the water down the ramp "I only do it for about 8 to 10 feet" will wear the plastic on the bottom fast? If it does is there any kind of protector I can use on the bottom of the hull? Usually when I go out its with my lady and she has a hard time carrying the boat with the motor half way into the water from the truck as well as back into the truck. At least until I can get a deal on a trailer. Any help would be appreciated thanks guys!

Welcome to the site! Go to the Jon and V boat Conversions and Modifications forum and type Coleman into the search feature. You will find several crawdad projects.

All you want and really can do is lay a removable carpeted floor in front of each seat they will rest on the bars. ITs an ideal setup because you can remove them and clean underneath if needed. Also, you can move the rear seat back just a little for more space. The crawdad while nice and low is super dangerous with decks.

I miss mine. :lol:

Awesome thanks guys the previous owner already did the floor with carpeted wood and it works great. Just seeing it anyone has taken it any further

"Also does anyone believe me skidding my boat into the water down the ramp "I only do it for about 8 to 10 feet" will wear the plastic on the bottom fast? If it does is there any kind of protector I can use on the bottom of the hull?"

In Mexico, the pangeros use a boat fender, good size one, round tube type as a cushion. They place it under the panga (mexican boat) and roll the panga down the beach into the water. It works pretty good and yes I think you will screw up your boat dragging on ramps, over the grass would be ok.

Tim

I loved mine, it was just time to upgrade!

20131108_163143_zps79cc624a.jpg

Sweet guys thanks for the help. I was looking at a metal clamp on wheel set for the back that clamp on to the transom and hang down below the boat but me having my motor makes it difficult. I'll start looking into a dolly! And yeah I love this boat too, they're great!

Throw a couple of cheap furniture dollies on the ground and place the boat on top to roll it down the ramp. You could even screw a 4' long 2x4 onto each to balance it out easier. Shouldn't cost more than $20 for a temporary fix.

Good luck!

My Dad and I used to have one we carried on top our Suburban when camping. Great little car top boat for small lakes. We had a set of fold up wheels on the transom for wheeling it to the water. I think we paid 300.00 for it with a 7hp Ted Williams motor. Not something I would ever want to stand up on a deck in though.

I guess I should of been more clean about the decking situation. I wanted to deck it mostly to make a door style compartment for gear and so forth cause guys know that owning these boats feel my pain when you are looking for places to keep stuff. So I wanted to do wood up front and make it where I can store my anchor, tackle, life vests ect.

I saw one on craigslist here a while back that had been customized with aluminum diamond plate storage area front and rear. That was his seating arrangement. It was pretty slick looking. Wish I had pics to show you but it's long gone now.

Latest posts