How to get the back of a rivet flat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

answer3

Reaction score
Just bought some aluminum rivets and 5200 at home depot tonight and gave a shot in a spare piece of aluminum to see how it goes before working on the hull of my boat. This is the first time I was using rivets and was quite surprised of the result... The back part of the rivet is very protruding and I am affraid it will catch things on the inside of the boat... Below are some pictures to illustrate what I am talking about. How do I reduce the size of this protruding part on the inside of the hull? Do I have to use shorter rivets? Do I have to hammer the back to flatten it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 3,514
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 3,514
Is it a solid rivet or hollow? If solid do you have a rivet gun? If so make sure to use a bucking bar on the inside while using the gun. This will make it tighten up in the hole while smashing the inside down. Also if the rivet is too long you can use a shorter one. Good luck

That looks like a blind (pop) rivet. Either get a shorter grip range rivet or use solid rivets. The blind rivets will always have some material protruding out the other end, it's how they "grip" and hold onto whatever it is your riveting together. I'd be afraid if you tried to hammer it flat or cut some of it off you'd compromise the integrity of the rivet. With an air hammer and bucking bar you can get a solid rivet almost flat.

We have used a sledge hammer as the anvil on the outside of a solid rivet, and a bucking bar to tighten/flatten the inside.
Two man job, and worked pretty well.
If you can access the rivets to be replaced, I would use the solid ones.
Also can tighten up loose rivets without removing them.

ok - after re-reading your post - - - -

you are using the wrong rivets for just plugging holes in the hull
or replacing rivets for seats and such things as that.

I got several sizes from ZoroTools on e-bay

also, you can do your own experimentation on hammering a pop rivet down flat
and see how you like it.

Attachments

• Jon Rivets 006.JPG
    Jon Rivets 006.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 3,347
  • Jon Rivets 005.JPG
    Jon Rivets 005.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 3,347
  • Jon Rivets 004.JPG
    Jon Rivets 004.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 3,347
  • Jon Rivets 007.JPG
    Jon Rivets 007.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 3,347
  • 6LB25_AS01.JPG
    6LB25_AS01.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 3,347
Ok I see... I cannot buy an air rivet gun and will have to put rivets in places where I can only access one side so I guess I have to go with closed end blind rivets instead of the standard blind rivets that I tested. I will buy the short version so they don't protrude too much. Thanks!

You don't need any fancy tools, two hammers will work just fine, if you cant reach the rivet get a friend to hold the other hammer. You only need to use the pop rivets if you cannot access the back side of the rivet and they make solid pop rivets for that, then it doesn't matter if it sticks up. one large hammer as an anvil and one regular hammer to flatten the shaft end. You can hammer pop rivets down flat too, I've done it but it ain't pretty.

Latest posts