hunting mods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frydaddy

Reaction score
ok yes im very new on here. and I see some cool stuff and now im addicted and looking at old boats everywhere I go. everything I see pretty much is for comfort and fishing. im a duck hunter first and fish while looking for new places to hunt. so is there some old topics or builds on here that can get some ideas from. my hunting buddies say just leave it as open as possible and build a blind. they are probably functualy speaking right as far as hunting but how boring is that?

thanks in advance

I built my 1971 Wards 1436 jon boat as a floating blind. It has a plywood floor, 2 Max4 seats, a 25hp Mariner motor, a 12 gallon fuel tank under a small deck up front. It has a Cabelas Northern flight blind.
I'd post some pictures but there all on my old broken computer, I have posted pictures here before that you might find.

I'm in the same boat, no pun intended. I duck hunt first and fish to find spots to hunt. I built my boat with fishing in mind though because I do that a ton more than hunting, I get more out of the season than with shooting my gun.

I just bought a new boat though so I will be rebuilding it to the same way pretty much that I built my last. Pretty much just camo, with a deck and two seats in it to shoot from. The deck has gun storage in it, but otherwise it's left mostly open. I chose to do that because the deck is perfect for my girlfriend to hang around on while fishing, but then also leaves most of the boat open for my 10 dozen decoys and anything else I'd bring hunting. The main thing too, is that I have to keep the weight down so a blind won't sink me when I build one. All I do is build it from aluminum tubing and burlap, it's simple and works. All my buddies and me have 12 foot boats and we all have more or less the same builds. They work perfectly year round.

Good luck building, and i'll be posting more on my build soon.

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36664

Im building this one up for duck hunting.

I built mine with both hunting and fishing in mind. Removed the center bench and installed a captains seat for a more open floor plan. Works well for both fishing and hunting to be able to easier move around the boat. Extended my bow deck by about 18" to increase space for fishing off the bow and also added hatches with room for storage underneath. The extended bow gives me space to tie down decoy bags when heading to a hunting spot and the extra storage is great for long line weights, spot light, emergency waterproof clothing bag and other hunting gear. Installed a pin mounted seat on the bow deck, which is obviously for fishing, but is easily removed during hunting season to open up my bow deck and eliminate any tripping hazards. Installed an older MotorGuide bow mounted trolling motor with rivnuts. The rivnuts hold great, but allow me to easily remove my trolling motor come hunting season. Installed 10 bases for rod holders along the gunnel (5 on each side). They are basically a 1/2" piece of aluminum sheet with a threaded hole. During hunting season I use the bases to attach the boat blind. Here is the rod holders I used. The 4th or so picture on the homepage is actually them installed on my boat. It's the camo boat.

https://www.metalrodholders.com/

Just think of things that can be dual purpose, like my rod holder bases, and it will be easier to transition from hunting to fishing. I just got my boat out this past weekend to clean it up from hunting season and get ready for fishing. All I had to do was get all the mud, feathers and blood cleaned up off the boat, put away hunting gear and install trolling motor.

i like your camo job. a lot of people seem to think more is better but I like how simple yours appears. do you have a picture or two of it with blind on it or set up of blind.

I mostly fish out of my boat and use it as a transport to duck hunt. I don't hunt out of the boat, so that's not an issue for me.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1427246026403.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1427246026403.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,114
frydaddy said:
i like your camo job. a lot of people seem to think more is better but I like how simple yours appears. do you have a picture or two of it with blind on it or set up of blind.

Thanks. I really think the super detailed camo jobs actually make a boat stick out more to birds from a distance.

Sorry, I do not. Just built the blind this winter and haven't actually used it to hunt from the boat yet. Actually plan on extending it further towards the bow. We did use it a few times to hunt from islands. Fits three guys pretty comfortably. Just popped it off the boat and set it up on land. We used camo burlap as the base material and cut down and zip tied together a bunch of dead ornamental grass plants from my buddies neighbors house for more camo. It's a simple scissor blind made from electrical conduit. If you Google scissor blind you can get an idea of what it looks like.

yeah you know when you look at how much of your boat is below the water and how much we cover up with blinds if you just let blind material hang down a little it really wouldnt matter what color the boat is!! but if you use it to get to a spot and thn hunt from the shore it would nake it a little eazier to hide it i guess.

OK, I must be blind. I don't see big Terp's camo job. I see a link to metal rod holders.
What am I missing?

huntinfool said:
OK, I must be blind. I don't see big Terp's camo job. I see a link to metal rod holders.
What am I missing?

I think he looked at my build thread. Here are a few pictures. Used Parkers duck boat paint in sand tan as a base and stenciled with black and brown Rustoelum camo spray cans.

The first two pictures will also give frydaddy and idea of how my boat goes from hunting season to fishing season pretty quickly.

IMG_20141122_102323_zpsjsdr0avh.jpg

IMG_20140308_103919_zpsketcbwn3.jpg

IMG_20140309_100346_zpsveqhl4pv.jpg

huntinfool said:
OK. Did you use some texture? Been thinking about re doing mine.

I used Asper Grit on my floor and deck. Really happy with it. Sprayed the first coat of the Parkers on and then sprinkled the Asper Grit on where I wanted it. Applied a second coat and it sealed in the Asper Grit with the paint. Really easy. Has held up really well over 2 hunting seasons. Its pretty "grippy" and I've actually skinned up my knuckles a few times on it taking out my trolling motor plug. But it's comfortable on bare fee at the same time. I used about a half of a quart on my 1648.

https://www.softsandrubber.com/aspergrit.html

Latest posts