Winter Boat Projects

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckfish

Reaction score
As I mentioned elsewhere, I have a G3 that was a warranty replacement of the original one I bought in '09. I was nearly completely happy with the original boat, but due to several design changes, this one not so much. So the past few weeks I've started on addressing some of the issues.

First and easiest was the thin plate my dealer made to cover the hole in the floor that was originally under the center console but became exposed when we shifted the console front. And then the cheesey cut plastic plate that was an access to a thru-hull fitting that had to partially cut to mount my pedestal seat base. To fix that I just made 2 new plates and then wrapped them with the same vinyl that covers the whole boat floor.

Tougher fix was that my new center console was designed so that the wheel and throttle were too low to operate the boat while standing straight up. I had to be in a constant 1/2 squat which killed my old knees and legs. The seat over the livewell on the front was also uncomfortably low at only 15". Decided to raise the entire console 3". I epoxied 4 layers of 3/4" fir floor sheeting together, epoxy coated the finished horseshoe riser, pre-drilled mounting bolt holes thru the riser and epoxy filled them so they couldn't allow water to the wood and finally covered the whole riser with the same vinyl so it would look good.

Starting point

Boat%20Console_zpsfhbbdshv.jpg

Epoxying the riser

IMG_0195_zpss9eh6tjj.jpg

Finished project

IMG_0198_zpswr7p5l0x.jpg

IMG_0199_zpspnvvcicb.jpg

Next up is to mount a seat pedestal I had laying around the garage, I think from some project that never happened back when I had one of my Lowes for the 3rd guy to sit against the front deck when I have the duck blind on the boat. After that I'm undecided if I'm going to start into relocating the the poor idea for placement of the front fuel tank and relocating my trolling motor batteries to under the front deck like I had done to my old hull.

Or I may just move on to an entirely different boat :wink:

If you are going to go to that much effort might as well make a new one, not hard to do with a little ply and some glass and poxy.

Latest posts