Alleviate my concerns with my Tracker Topper 15, 1542

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akbejeepin

Reaction score
I post some pics the other day of my in the mods/conversions forum and I am just getting around to asking this.

I started out with a Lowe 1436 and ran into a good bargain on this Topper 15 with galv trailer, so I bought it I noticed a pretty big difference between the way those boats were built...lowe appeared better. The area of concern I have is with the floor. The rivet floor braces the run sideways are only on the floor on my topper and do not turn up the side like most jon boats including the lowe. In addition the ribs are probably 1" high by 1" wide. Most other boats I have seen have 1.5" to 2" ribs.

I took the boat out this weekend on a relatively calm day and when I hit anything other than smooth water you could see the floor flex. My main concern is on the front at the welded seem between the floor and sides. This is where any chop would impact the boat. Since the ribs dont turn up the sides and are not riveted to the sides, all of the stress of the impact and flexing is taken up by the welds there. I did notice that the design changed in 2015 with the braces being riveted to the sides now.

Has anybody had an issue at that seem that you guys have heard of?

Anybody abused the same boat I am describing and have a report on the durability?

General thoughts and opinions?

I have a 1996 Tracker Sportsman 1648 that is riveted. Not sure how they compare to the Toppers, but I have beat the crap out of mine over the past 2-1/2 years. Other than the hole I put in the hull by hitting a rock at full throttle (28+mph) and other dings and dents from hitting rocks, everything has held up well so far. No issues with seams or rivets. But quickly learned that rocks vs. aluminum is not a fair fight.

I think those boats have to be built better than some of these toppers. Maybe I am making something out of nothing.

I am hoping there are a few people with the same boat that can come in. I use it on a lake here in Alabama that can get choppy at times. The boat is in great shape now but it is going to get used, no doubt. If I need to get something better that won't test up, I will. I just don't know if it will handle it the way it is built

Latest posts