camo painting with stencil?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amk

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a stencil and painting my boat. Never done it before looking to get some good advice from someone who has done boat painting. I don't have a paint gun I see a lot of you tube videos people use spray paint. Just want to know the best way to go about it how difficult is it and whats the best paint and method. Id rather not do it if I can't do a good job. If spray paint is good whats the best and where do I get it. I kind of like the gloss look vs. flat. My boat is a 1648 MV alumacraft.

A quick google search should give you some different patterns that you can print/trace onto your stencil material. I painted a buddies' boat using a set of 3 stencils (all different grass patterns). I've found that the best method IMO is to layer the patterns using different colors on each to give a more detailed look. Just be sure to limit the patterns from becoming too cluttered.

If you're not wanting to bother with layering different patterns, my second favorite method is to use one stencil pattern and hit it with one dominant color and (without moving the stencil) follow up with 1-2 secondary colors to give it some dimension.

Regardless of method, be sure to test your patterns and methods before attempting them on your project. And be sure to take some pics so we can see how it turns out. Good luck!

If you're doing it for waterfowl hunting, I would avoid gloss paint at all costs. It will look unnatural and nothing flares ducks like flashes of something bright.

I like using multiple stencils that I make myself. As BIDZ said, the perception of dimension is key. I've had the best luck with Krylon flat paints.

Ok so krylon flat spray paint? Just regular stuff from home depot? I have seen a lot of special camo spray cans.

Regular old Krylon like from Home Depot. I've tried some of the special camo paints like Parker's & H.S. IMO nothing goes on as well or holds up as well as Krylon. Have not had good luck at all with Rustoleum.

I typically use 4 different colors. Don't currently have any partial cans to tell you exact color names but a light tan/yellow, OD green, a medium brown, and little bits of black to give the illusion of shadows.

I used Parkers duck boat paint in sand tan as a base coat and then rustoleum camo spray cans in black and brown to do my stenciling. I used a cheap HVLP spray gun from Harbor Freight. Was well worth the $40 some it cost. I used these stencils.

https://www.camostencil.com/Ambush-GroundCover.html

In hindsight I could have easily cut these stencils myself out of xray film or corrugated carboard. Turned out nicely though. My boat virtually disappears when beached on the river in the fall/winter once all the green has died off the trees and ground. Parkers duck boat paint is super flat and holds up extremely well. Mine has held up really well after 2 seasons of HARD waterfowl hunting. The key, IMO, is excellent paint prep and allowing your base coat ample time to set up/cure. I let mine set in the hot July sun for a day or two. Really should have left it set for a week or more. It was still a bit soft when I put it back on the trailer and dinged a few spots. Now the paint is really hard and durable.

I'm not a big fan of the really detailed camo jobs some guys do to their boats. Up close they look awesome, but from a distance and a birds view in the air, they end up looking like a giant blob of a darker color. Also what was already said about glossy paint is 100% correct. Find something extra flat. I have a few "shiny" things on my boat. I use my decoy bags to cover my stick steer, control box and gas can once we are set up. Birds don't seem to mind my boat at all. But guys moving in the blind is another thing [-X

IMG_20140308_103919_zpsketcbwn3.jpg

IMG_20140309_174646_zpsr8dgslu6.jpg

You can see in this picture how my color combo would blend in well with the far bank. Works really well for the terrain/color of the river banks/islands in my area. I don't hunt out of my boat though. Use it to get to and from hunting spots and then need to tuck it next to the bank to hide it from the birds.
IMG_20141122_102323_zpsjsdr0avh.jpg

Go to the dollar store and buy three or four of the plastic place mats for kids to eat on. Print the stencils that you want from the internet or draw your own. Use an exacto knife or other razor blade to cut the shape out of the mat. You now have a homemade stencil kit that can be used many times.

CountryRN said:
Go to the dollar store and buy three or four of the plastic place mats for kids to eat on. Print the stencils that you want from the internet or draw your own. Use an exacto knife or other razor blade to cut the shape out of the mat. You now have a homemade stencil kit that can be used many times.

I agree with this. I bought mine from Red Leg Camo https://www.redlegcamo.com/#!camo-stencils/c8z9. I like them, but the stencils were so thin that once too much paint got on them from the spray can, they would get super flimsy and didn't hold up terribly well. I used the camo colors of spray paint available at Home Depot last fall. The paint has held up ok. About as I expected. I haven't finished up the use of the stencils as hunting season and electrical installation took precedence.

Latest posts