Flat Bottom Jon Boat Cleat location

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishman320

Reaction score
I have a 1648 Jon boat that I am looking at installing cleats on it. The cleats will only be used to tie the boat to the dock. Also, what cleats are better for this type of boat and how are the grip cleats? If anyone could provide pictures of where they have theirs located on their boat pref the front and back would be great. All ideas and input would be much appreciated and thank you in advance.

black plastic 4" cleats with stainless screws. (chrome will eventual start pitting and peeling)
on each side, forward, middle and on the stern.

I don't have room to mount them under the gunwale, which is preferable,
so they are mounted on the top of the gunwale which is a pain sometimes.

Where do you have them mounted on the front and rear. Is the rear mounted on the web/ angle in the corners. Also, do you have any pictures of them mounted so I can see what they look like.

fishman320 said:
Where do you have them mounted on the front and rear. Is the rear mounted on the web/ angle in the corners. Also, do you have any pictures of them mounted so I can see what they look like.
This is how I have mine mounted on our 1648. One forward, one aft.

Attachments

• Cleat 003.jpg
    Cleat 003.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,314
  • Cleat 006.jpg
    Cleat 006.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,314
Gillhunter,

Do you have plywood on top of your benches that are carpeted or do you have it screwed right to the aluminum bench through the carpet?

Do not use gripper cleats for docking lines. A gripper cleat should not be used unattended and only in situations where there is a constant tension (downward preferably). Unlike a standard cleat (when tied properly) the line can work loose on a gripper cleat- usually from the up-down motion of the boat in chop/waves if the tie off point locate above the gripper cleat in the space.

Hope that makes sense.....

fishman320 said:
I have a 1648 Jon boat that I am looking at installing cleats on it. The cleats will only be used to tie the boat to the dock. Also, what cleats are better for this type of boat and how are the grip cleats? If anyone could provide pictures of where they have theirs located on their boat pref the front and back would be great. All ideas and input would be much appreciated and thank you in advance.

Thanks for posting this question.
I picked-up some stainless steel door handles from work, about 10 to be exact.
When I noticed they were being thrown out, I said to myself that would be perfect for a cleat. :idea:
I was thinking about a side mounting under the gunnel, but gillhunter presented another option.
Thanks again.

SDC13720_zpspgo6vsqm.jpg

SDC13721_zpsbixmaphz.jpg

Latest posts