New boat owner with a trim question. Tallahassee

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallybassfishing

Reaction score
Hello everyone, New owner here. I just recently bought a 14" Alumacraft Jon Boat, I have a 5hp and #30 Minnkota, I use it to fish some of the local holes here in Tallahassee Fl. Don't really know any other boat owners so I figured Id ask here. What position should I have my motor when I am by myself? the Boat can handle I think 650lbs, with me and gear we are about 300lbs give or take I am having the nose of the jon boat to high in the front. I want to be even when I am on the water. Where should the motor be? Do I need to have the propeller close to the boat, or further out. Excuse me for not knowing the proper terminology. Any Help would be great.

Frank

Attachments

• 20150314_195803_resized.jpg
    20150314_195803_resized.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 545
  • 20150315_110251_resized.jpg
    20150315_110251_resized.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 545
well, right off the bat, I see a SERIOUS concern for your safety.

Fishing alone is often very rewarding just in the mental peace it brings.
But, you really should have a KILL SWITCH to your motor.
and if you use a trolling motor, a kill switch on it too.

Nothing worse than falling overboard and you watch your boat just putter away into the distance.

:WELCOME:

I do have a kill switch on the motor... What made ya think I didn't? I wear the cord around my wrist when the boat is moving, but if I'm stopped I don't wear it. Thank you though for your concern.

Attachments

• IMG_20150309_180752_resized.jpg
    IMG_20150309_180752_resized.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 538
You want to trim the motor for best performance and ride and it takes a little trial and error. Usually the trim pin is at least one up from the bottom. I would start there and raise it until you feel comfortable and the boat seems to perform the best. It will ride better with the nose slightly up and go faster too. But you don’t want the bow (front) up so high you can’t see over it, right. Trimming it down (pin too low prop too close to boat) will cause the boat to plow and make it hard to steer and can be dangerous. Weight distribution s also critical in a small jon, it is not always easy to move stuff around but try to balance the weight as well.

If it proposes (the bow starts bouncing for no reason) then trim it down one notch.

I had the same set up when I lived in Tally. Put as much weight in the front as possible to counter your weight. A 5 horse will probably struggle to plane that boat though. In had a 9.9 on mine and it did very well.

Latest posts