Has anyone ever put Line-X on their hull?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSG-1

Reaction score
I was curious if anyone had ever coated the bottom of their boat with Line-X for protection against logs, rocks, etc.

My jet boat's bottom paint is looking kind of ratty these days. I had originally sandblasted my hull to bare metal, and applied Rust-O-Leum roll-on truck bed liner when I first built the boat 10 years ago, to fill in minor pitting from electrolysis. But over the years, it's been scratched off from oysters in a few places, and in a few other spots, the paint has de-laminated from the hull, leaving it unprotected.

My thought is that if I have it applied where the edges are a few inches above the static waterline, this should fully protect my hull from electrolysis, as well as the occasional slide over a submerged oyster bed or gravel bar. The quote I got was expensive, but if this stuff performs as well on a boat hull as it does in a truck bed, it would be well worth the investment. My old 2001 GMC sierra had Line-X, and despite 14 years of abuse, there was only one gouge, from where I tossed a very heavy chunk of I-beam in the bed. The guy told me they have done pontoons of large houseboats with Line-X, and that the "350 grade" Line-X is military grade, which is what he would use on my boat, as opposed to the "100 grade" that is typically applied to truck beds.

What are your thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boating/comments/2huuep/linex_ryno_liner_in_a_boat_good_or_bad/

RWIbCML.jpg

The only negatives I can see right off would be the weight of the line-ex coating added to the hull, and the increased friction of the rougher texture moving through the water. Gator-glide or one of the UHMW products may give you the same abrasion protection without the increased friction.

Call804 778 7400 old dominion line x here in richmond va a personal friend of mine. Ask for jeff should be able to answer all your questions

Latest posts