Kill Switch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckfish

Reaction score
Buddy and I were discussing this last night.... got me curious to do an informal poll:

Who wears their kill switch lanyard.... always, never, occasionally.

I'll admit, I rarely wear mine on my center console. Just the few times I've found myself in far rougher conditions than I planned or cared to be in. He has never, ever worn one. Not even running a Gheenoe.

The meter swings towards 'always' in my small skiffs. The end goes to a big SS carabiner, just too easy NOT to hook to the corner of the jeans or shorts.

Could save a life ... or a leg someday ...

I would say most of the time it's on. Occasionally I will forget about it but as soon as I look down I usually notice it hanging there. My biggest problem is forgetting I have it on.

In my jet boat....always. In my Triton 1650 with the 50 merc.....occasionally, although, I really should wear it all the time.

It REALLY becomes an issue with tiller-handle outboards, since when you let go, the tiller will generally swing to one side, and the boat will run circles. If you're overboard, this is not good. I saw this happen one time in the river, about 10 years ago. Fortunately, another boat was able to rescue the guy. The boat kept running circles until it got toward the shore and finally stopped when it hit some submerged cypress knees.

If you ever find yourself in this situation and there's no one to rescue you, and you attempt to re-board your boat, remember to stay on the inside of the boat's swing. This way, in case you grab the gunwale but fail to drag yourself back in, the stern, and prop, will swing away from you. If you try to board from the outside of the swing and miss, there is a very high likelihood of the prop running over you.

A life jacket is also a good idea, however, if you fall over without a kill switch, it may not do much good, especially if you're in the path of the boat as it's circling, since the life jacket will prevent you from being able to dive, or swim quickly enough to avoid the prop.

PSG-1 said:
In my jet boat....always. In my Triton 1650 with the 50 merc.....occasionally, although, I really should wear it all the time.

It REALLY becomes an issue with tiller-handle outboards, since when you let go, the tiller will generally swing to one side, and the boat will run circles. If you're overboard, this is not good. I saw this happen one time in the river, about 10 years ago. Fortunately, another boat was able to rescue the guy. The boat kept running circles until it got toward the shore and finally stopped when it hit some submerged cypress knees.

If you ever find yourself in this situation and there's no one to rescue you, and you attempt to re-board your boat, remember to stay on the inside of the boat's swing. This way, in case you grab the gunwale but fail to drag yourself back in, the stern, and prop, will swing away from you. If you try to board from the outside of the swing and miss, there is a very high likelihood of the prop running over you.

A life jacket is also a good idea, however, if you fall over without a kill switch, it may not do much good, especially if you're in the path of the boat as it's circling, since the life jacket will prevent you from being able to dive, or swim quickly enough to avoid the prop.

Having been on the receiving end of one of these events back in the early 70's, I can tell you that it's not any better with a glass ski rig than it is with a jon boat and OB. On a ski boat, the throttle will never return to idle on it's own (most OB's will vibrate and return to idle unless locked for cruise) and the driver tends to hang on and dangle from the steering wheel as he's ejected from the boat and that leaves the wheel turned all the way to one side like the OB does. This was one time I was happy that I wasn't wearing a life jacket, as I was barely able to dive and get below the circling prop. It was so close I felt the prop wash push on me as it went past me. The owner/driver of the boat was not as lucky, and received a broken arm with a couple of deep prop cuts (prop strike broke the bone) and a bad cut to the back of his head and a concussion. He later said that as he dove to get under the prop, he threw his arms up around his head in an effort to protect his head. I guess he did in a sense, since the main prop damage was to the elbow area of his arm and not the side of his skull.

I guess I am going to be the "bad boy" in this thread, as I will answer NEVER. As in never, ever, ever. Although to my defense my electric trolling motor get's 99% more use than the outboard.

Latest posts