7 1/2 weeks or so to go

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keystone

Reaction score
And the open water fishing season will be upon us in Minnesota. :D

Starting to get things ready. Making my live bait spinner rigs. I go through several dozen of these each year. As much as a dozen or more in a morning when the Northerns are being extra aggressive.

My target species is Walleye. Normal tackle for them is 6-8lb test line. Where Walleye are, so are the Northerns.

LOL I guess I just don't understand the concept, b/c I have never fished
up there . . . But I have seen it on the TV fishing shows.

why not use heavier tackle ?
I mean, to loose so much tackle on light line, I would step up to the 20# category
and loose less fish ?? would that be a correct thought ?
I guess I will pay more attention next time the Fishing North America is on TV.

Keystone said:

Spring can't come soon enough for me in Minnesota. I got a trip planned south to the Tennessee river the first week of April.
The striped bass should be spawning and they're fun to catch. :)

Barefoot_Johnny said:
LOL I guess I just don't understand the concept, b/c I have never fished
up there . . . But I have seen it on the TV fishing shows.

why not use heavier tackle ?
I mean, to loose so much tackle on light line, I would step up to the 20# category
and loose less fish ?? would that be a correct thought ?
I guess I will pay more attention next time the Fishing North America is on TV.

You would loose less Northerns, but might not catch Walleye. Walleye can be very picky at times. They often lightly mouth bait. Small tick on the line is at times the only indication that they are picking up your bait. They will often spit out the bait is any weight is felt. So lighter tackle is the norm for "Eyes. Using heavier tackle will work at times, but not the norm. So there are several reasons I go through so many. Teeth of the Walleye remove the paint of the tackle. Enough gone and that bait might stop working. Northern Pike. I don't target them, they just happen to feed on the same things as the Eyes do and are often in the same area. Go heavy, don't catch Walleye. Go light, loose some rigs to the Northerns...

Anyway, the Esox Lucius has come out of hibernation. Will be getter her ready for the up coming season soon enough. Turkey season starts on the 25th of April for me. Want to have everything ready to go before that.

Attachments

• hibernate.jpg
    hibernate.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 378
jasper60103 said:
Keystone said:

Spring can't come soon enough for me in Minnesota. I got a trip planned south to the Tennessee river the first week of April.
The striped bass should be spawning and they're fun to catch. :)

That they are!

Latest posts