1992 tracker guide v16

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EZ707

Reaction score
Hi guys. Im new here. I was wondering if it is possible to throw a 250 pound ETec 40 on to a 1992 tracker guide v16 raded for 40 hp. I was thinking it would be too heavy because of the year it was made. Should i just stick with an 1980s evinrude 35 hp?

Typically, the idea behind a HP rating is how much torque the transom can take, not weight. I would imagine you would be fine with that e-tec on there. That is of course as long as you are not exceeding the GVWR on your hulls USCG tag.

jethro said:
Typically, the idea behind a HP rating is how much torque the transom can take, not weight. I would imagine you would be fine with that e-tec on there. That is of course as long as you are not exceeding the GVWR on your hulls USCG tag.
Agreed.

So the etec 40, 50, and the 60 weigh about the same. Would it b illegal to put a 60 hp even though i am rated for 40?

EZ707 said:
So the etec 40, 50, and the 60 weigh about the same. Would it b illegal to put a 60 hp even though i am rated for 40?
I don't think I would risk it in CA. Or here in Oregon for that matter. Here they do pop inspections at boat docks at peak times and check those kind of things. Not to mention the liability involved. If you are involved in a mishap on the water where someone is injured exceeding the HP limit could be considered negligence.

Adding to negligence, your insurance company won't know you and you lose ALL coverage ... so to cover any potential medical and property losses ... there goes your house!

Awesomd news. Trailers are easier to replace than boats. Its to be expected in salt water

2 things can help if it does dip a bit in the back with the E-Tek. Move both batteries to up under the front casting platform and or add a pair of transom pods.

I was thinking of doing that. Either the battery or a 12 gal gas tank i want to put on it. I need to take some measurements to see if it is possible

I purchased two 6 gallon tanks for my boat when it was new. I found that I could run about 74 miles on 12 gallons.

Latest posts