Bimini Tops on Tiller Boats..??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLR

Reaction score
Hey first post here..

I've got a '14 Alumacraft Competitor 175 Tiller, and I am needing to put a top on it for my wife and baby. We've owned lots of boats, all without any type of top so I really have no knowledge of them, other than I reallly don't care for them on my boats. :lol: I'd just as soon go without, since I fish at night mostly, but she likes to fish during the day and wants to have a place for her and the baby to get out of the hot Virginia sun.

I'm looking for something removable, mountable to my track system, and it's gotta keep the sun off her. I would like to keep my fishing space in the rear of the boat clear of top obstacles, and I would also like to have a bit of the front deck open for her to fish from. I'm asking a lot, I know.

I've looked at dodgers and biminis, and like the dodgers a lot better. A bimini might work though...Does anyone run a tiller, or any other similar fishing boat with a bimini or dodger? Does anyone know of a custom top shop in NC or VA that does excellent work? Thanks

:WELCOME: Pull up a chair and enjoy the ride

Of all the dozens of boats I have owned, only one had a bimini and I really liked it.
I am currently looking for one for the aft end of my 1648 bass boat for that is where
my wife sits ....

once you get it adjusted and tuned in, it is easily removable with quick disconnect pins
and takes little effort. The nylon retaining straps have quick clips on the ends too.
also, it is flat and easy to store in your garage when not in use.
the zippered glove that goes around it is a waste of money ($100 or more).

An installation note is to adjust the front end down lower than the back end . . . .
so the wind force will direct the boat downwards sort of like an air foil.
Although I have never heard of it happening, a very strong gust of wind hitting a bimini
at just the right force, just the right angle, and it could "possibly" flip you over.
LOL I just like the idea of the wind pushing the nose of the boat down - not up.

Attachments

• top bracket.JPG
    top bracket.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 2,221
The bimini on my boat is kind of a pain when fishing. It severely restricts the fishing to the back 180 degrees or forward 180 degrees from seats forward or aft. The middle 8' of the boat cannot be fished b/c of the straps holding the bimini up and the poles in the center supporting the frame. I have lost a large 18" trout trying to get it in the boat between the straps and bimini frame.

In Florida though, in May - October, the bimini is a must after 10am until 4pm. I get absolutely fried if I do not have cover #-o .

I mounted the bimini directly in the center of the boat, but it does not cover the front or back perfectly. If it were further back to shade me the driver, I would have a real hard time fishing with the rear straps in my way.

We make it work mounted in the center. Then half the year we take it off.

Maxima - you are on target and :WELCOME: to Tin Boats as well !!

one thought of the Bimini that most folks don't think about . . .
and I didn't either until I was put in the situation . . .

Picture this scenario - - - young couple, in their 20s, 18 month old baby.
In Key West, FL - Just gonna spin around the islands real quick to test some
repairs made on the motor. Boat n motor runs great so we head a bit further
out of the shipping channel. Motor breaks, water is too deep for the anchor to hold.
We drift at a quick rate with the outgoing tide towards Havana.....
Finally, able to paddle over to a sandy atoll called Sand Key Light, 6 miles from Key West.
only a couple hundred feet long ... we beach the boat there. No food, No WATER, NO SHADE of any kind.
Got the motor fixed, had to wait 4 hours for incoming tide to lift the boat....
Back home okay but we were ROASTED !!! dehydrated and pooped. The baby was okay Thank God.

So, even though we find a Bimini cumbersome and in the way, if you fish in sparse and desolate areas,
It could be a life saver if needed. Especially in the very hot summer months.
Just keep it folded up and stored where you can easily and safely step over it
and you can quickly put it up when needed. (that's my plan for this boat).
ALSO added to the survival box is 4 compact personal umbrellas. (shade is shade when needed).
Now that summer is just around the corner, it is time to go over your Survival Box and bring it up to date.

Jus my dos centavos

I always put a bimini on a boat. I have a tiller now and its not at all in the way. I fish off the front and the bimini is laying across the gas and battery area. My dad or daughter always has shade and rain protection.

Latest posts