drain hole problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samtech

Reaction score
As you can see from the pics, the drain holes are "thinned walled' and missing some material. I tried drain plugs, but not very tight and secure. Should I just remove the drain holes and seal the old holes and install new drain? and do I need 2 drain holes?

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 782
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 782
how big is your boat ?????
I have only seen double drain holes on BIG boats - 24' or bigger.
small basic tin boat, one is plenty. Ask yourself - WHY do you need a drain hole ??
then ask yourself . . . WHY do I need TWO ???????

"REALISTICALLY" - - you only need enough tube to hold the plug in firmly.

with that said, in MY world, I would remove the unwanted tube material.
Remove as much paint, grease and gunk around the shortened tube.
pack tightly with waterproof epoxy, smooth down to make it look pretty.
bing bang wala wala ding dang - DONE !!!

If you're having trouble getting the plug to stay in, do as barefoot said and pack the area with epoxy and chopped mat. Once cured, use a hole saw to drill out the tube and epoxy. Now you have a longer tube than before.

But I'd probably just have a new one welded in.

Or - seal up those 2 holes and install one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UOTXA0/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p200_d0_i5?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1CPYDQT03VMD7TTWNDRJ&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970559082&pf_rd_i=desktop

CMOS

CMOS said:
Or - seal up those 2 holes and install one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UOTXA0/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p200_d0_i5?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1CPYDQT03VMD7TTWNDRJ&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970559082&pf_rd_i=desktop

CMOS
I've done those on fiberglass boats, but they sit too high and don't drain well in a tin. If you get the hole low enough, there is no where for the screw's!

Latest posts