Battery placement

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgpjr49

Reaction score
I'm having trouble in the fact of where to put my battery. My boats a Lowe 1448 MV without a middle bench. My idea was to put the tm battery up front under the bow deckImageUploadedByTapatalk1427736922.644211.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427736935.789178.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427736946.706623.jpg my idea is to take some angle and place it on the rib so it will have a flat place to put the battery tray. This helps clean up my floor and distribute the weight better. Anyone have any suggestions, questions, or ideas on where else I could possibly put the battery because it's a tight fit in there now and may no fit with the angle and battery tray?

2 ideas you can think about.... when I did this to my previous boat I ended up buying AGM batteries since they can be mounted on their side. That solved my height clearance problem and based on the longevity of them and superior charge holding abilities, I will never again buy anything but AGM's for trolling motor batteries.

I made mounting plates out of thin but rigid plastic cutting boards, cut (1) side off of a standard battery tray to allow the on-the-side placement and then fastened this to adjacent ribs with small SS angle fasteners. I will try to take a picture of one of them later to better show what I did.

I also have a 24 series battery that's smaller and it might fit better. What's the difference between a 24 and 27 series anyway?

Here's the cheap mount I made for my AGM trolling batteries. Only took up about 3/4" of height space

IMG_0202_zpsxvmz4dyx.jpg

Right. Not really all that heavy duty. Little less than 1/2" thick but rigid.

Okay, any chance you have a picture of it installed I think I can picture it but not quite.

No, sorry I don't. They were in my previous boat.

The cutting board was cut so it fit snugly in between 2 ribs. The L brackets you see still attached to the board each had a screw into the side of the rib. Hope that makes sense & helps.

Mine were actually mounted far enough front to be in the upward curvature of the bow. So each battery was beyond just on it's side, rolled slightly towards upside-down. Never had a problem nor had one come loose and I do a lot of running in rough water on the Chesapeake Bay. You should be in much better shape since it looks like yours will be flat.

Strongly recommend the AGM's. Have waay more than paid for themselves. Still using the same 2 after I'd say 6 years at least. Mine are Cabela's.

Okay that makes sense I want to mount mine on the front rib going under the bow a little bit. I know I may have to add a piece of aluminum or something to protect it cause it sticks out a little bit. I'm gonna put it together and not attach it and put up a picture.

Latest posts